User talk:David Finn/UN members n-z
See also UN members a-m
- Namibia : Southern African country independent from South Africa since 1990; capital Windhoek.
- Nauru : Republic in the Pacific Ocean, 300 kilometres west of Banaba Island in Kiribati, within Micronesia.
- Nepal : Landlocked country in South Asia, bordered by Tibet and India.
- Netherlands : Constitutional monarchy (population c. 16.6 million; capital Amsterdam) located at the delta of three major rivers (Rhine, Maas or Meuse, and Schelde) in north-western Europe; situated between Germany and Belgium, and bordering the North Sea to the north and west; founding member of the European Union.
- New Zealand : Country in the South Pacific; constitutional monarchy and a member of the Commonwealth of Nations.
- Nicaragua : Country of Latin America, formerly a British colony.
- Niger : A country in Western Africa, with one of the worst qualities of life in the world.
- Nigeria : Country on the coast of West Africa, bordering the Atlantic Ocean in the south, Niger to the north, Benin to the west, and Cameroon to the east.
- North Korea : State comprising the northern Korean peninsula; officially the Democratic People's Republic of Korea with Pyongyang its capital.
- Norway : A constitutional monarchy in northern Europe on the western side of the Scandinavian Peninsula.
- Oman : Country located in Southwest Asia which borders the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Yemen.
- Pakistan : Country in southern Asia, established as a Muslim state split from India in 1947, bordering the Arabian Sea to the south, India to the east, Iran and Afghanistan to the west, and China to the north.
- Palau : Independent republic in the Pacific Ocean, an archipelago consisting of more than 350 islets.
- Panama : Republic in Central America, bounded by Colombia to the east, Costa Rica to the west, the Caribbean Sea to the north, and the Pacific Ocean to the south.
- Papua New Guinea : A developing nation in Oceania, part of the Commonwealth of Nations, on whose islands and in whose waters were fought many major battles of the Second World War
- Paraguay : Country in Central South America, northeast of Argentina, which also has boundaries with Bolivia and Brazil.
- Peru : A South American nation bordering Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Chile and Bolivia.
- Philipines : Add brief definition or description
- Poland : Central European republic (population c. 38.5 million; capital Warsaw) extending from the Baltic Sea in the north to the Tatry Mountains on its southern borders with the Czech Republic and Slovakia; also borders Germany to the west, the Russian Federation and Lithuania to the north-east, and Belorussia and Ukraine to the east.
- Portugal : South-west European republic (population c. 10.7 million; capital Lisbon) on the western side of the Iberian Peninsula, with a long Atlantic coastline to its west and bordering Spain to the north and east.
- Qatar : A small oil-rich state in the Persian Gulf
- Republic of Macedonia : Former Yugoslav republic (population c. 2.1 million; capital Skopje), landlocked in south-eastern Europe between Kosovo and Serbia to the north and Greece to the south, Albania to the west and Bulgaria to the east.
- Romania : South-east European republic (population c. 22.2 million; capital Bucharest) on the western shore of the Black Sea, and divided by the arc of the Carpathian Mountains, which enclose the Transylvanian basin in the north-west; borders Ukraine, Moldavia, Hungary, Serbia and Bulgaria.
- Russia : A country in northern Eurasia, with an area of 17 million km², currently the largest on our planet.
- Rwanda : A small landlocked country in the Great Lakes region of central Africa.
- Saint Kitts and Nevis : Sovereign federated state located in the Lesser Antilles in the east Caribbean, comprising the islands of Saint Kitts (Saint Christopher) and the smaller Nevis.
- Saint Lucia : Sovereign federated state located in the Lesser Antilles in the east Caribbean, and the second largest island in the Windward Islands group.
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines : Sovereign federated state located in the Lesser Antilles in the east Caribbean, consisting of the island of Saint Vincent and a chain of smaller islands within the Windward Islands group called the Grenadines.
- Samoa : Republic in the Pacific Ocean, comprising of the two large islands of Savai'i and Upolu, the small islands of Manono and Apolima, and several uninhabited islets.
- San Marino : Landlocked republic in central Italy, located on the north-east side of the Apennine Mountains near Rimini.
- Sao Tome and Principe : Add brief definition or description
- Saudi Arabia : A country in the Middle East, governed by a monarchy under Islamic law, which includes the most revered sites in Islam, and also dominates the world's oil economy.
- Senegal : Once a French colony, now an influential yet Highly Indebted Poor Country with diplomatic and military impact well beyond its borders
- Serbia : Landlocked, former Yugoslav republic (population c. 10.2 million; capital Belgrade) in south-eastern Europe, having borders with Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Croatia.
- Seychelles : Add brief definition or description
- Sierra Leone : Former British colony on the coast of West Africa, extremely rich in resources including blood diamonds, temperate climate, but failed state due to repeated civil wars and banditry; capital, Freetown, was a significant convoy port in WWII
- Singapore : Even though of tiny size, one of the world's most prosperous countries, a trading and transportation center of Southeast Asia, made up of islands between Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Slovakia : The Slovak Republic (population c. 5.5 million; capital Bratislava) is a landlocked nation adjoining Austria to the west, the Czech Republic to the north-west, Poland to the north, Ukraine to the east and Hungary to the south.
- Slovenia : Former Yugoslav republic (population c. 2 million; capital Ljubljana) at the north-eastern end of the Adriatic Sea, and bordering Italy and Austria to the alpine west and north, Hungary to the north-east, and Croatia along a long frontier to the east and south.
- Solomon Islands : An island republic, part of the Commonwealth of Nations, in the South Pacific Ocean, southeast of Papua New Guinea and northwest of Vanuatu; scene of much fighting in the Second World War
- Somalia : A country located in the Horn of Africa, bordering Djibouti to the northwest, Kenya on its southwest, the Gulf of Aden at its north, the Indian Ocean at its east, and Ethiopia to the west.
- South Africa : The southernmost African nation; population about 50,000,000.
- South Korea : A democratic republic in East Asia, occupying the southern half of the Korean peninsula; established in 1948 after Korea's liberation from Japanese colonial rule.
- Spain : South-west European parliamentary monarchy (population c. 40.5 million; capital Madrid) between the Atlantic Ocean and Bay of Biscay to the north-west and the Mediterranean Sea to the south and east; the Pyrenees mountain range forms the border with France to the north-east, and Portugal is situated to the west.
- Sri Lanka : An island nation in South Asia, located 31 km off the south-east coast of India, formerly known as Ceylon .
- Sudan : A nation in East Africa/Horn of Africa, with the largest land area of any country in Africa, and near-continuous civil wars since British independence in 1956; effectively a federation of Arab and African parts, with the southern region voting for independence in 2011.
- Surinam : Add brief definition or description
- Swaziland : Landlocked mountainous kingdom bordered north, west, and south by the Republic of South Africa, and Mozambique to the east.
- Sweden : Constitutional monarchy (population c. 9 million; capital Stockholm) situated on the Scandinavian Peninsula, between Norway and Finland; has a long eastern coastline on the Baltic Sea and the Gulf of Bothnia.
- Switzerland : A country in western Europe known for its banking industry and for being a neutral country since early 19th century.
- Syria : Country in the Middle East, facing the Mediterranean Sea, and sharing borders with Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey.
- Tajikistan : Bordered by Afghanistan, Iran, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, a landlocked, predominantly Muslim, nation of Central Asia, formerly part of the Soviet Union
- Tanzania : A large coastal East African nation bordered by Kenya, Uganda, Congo and the Indian Ocean.
- Thailand : Southeast Asian country (capital Bangkok), with a constitutional monarchy, often democratic government, and a relatively strong economy; population about 67 million.
- Timor-Leste : Add brief definition or description
- Togo : Republic located on the west coast of Africa. The country is bounded by Burkina Faso in the north, Benin in the east and Ghana in the west, with access to the Atlantic Ocean.
- Tonga : Sovereign state consisting of over 169 islands and islets in the South Pacific.
- Trinidad and Tobago : Republic located at the southern end of the Lesser Antilles in the Caribbean Sea, along the north coast of South America.
- Tunisia : Country in the North African Maghreb region that gained independence from France in 1956 and was the first to see governmental change in the 2011 Arab Spring.
- Turkey : A secular Islamic republic (population 71.9 million; capital Ankara) extending from Eastern Thrace in Europe across the peninsula of Asia Minor; meets the Black Sea to the north, the Aegean to the west and the Mediterranean to the south; has land borders with Greece and Bulgaria in Europe, and Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Iraq and Syria.
- Turkmenistan : Once a constituent part of the Soviet Union, now an independent Central Asian nation neighboring Afghanistan, Iran, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan and with coast on the Caspian Sea
- Tuvalu : Sovereign state consisting of six coral atolls and three islands in the South Pacific; Nanumea, Nanumanga, Niutao, Nui, Vaitupu, Nukufetau, Funafuti, Nukulaelae, and Niulakita.
- Uganda : Landlocked republic in East Africa, located on the equator, bordering the northern and western shores of Lake Victoria.
- Ukraine : A large Slavic nation in Eastern Europe whose capital is Kyiv (Kiev).
- United Arab Emirates : Federation of the seven arabian states Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujeirah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm al-Quwain.
- United Kingdom : Constitutional monarchy which includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- United States of America : Constitutional republic in North America, has major land borders with Mexico and Canada.
- Uruguay : An economically sound democracy in the Southern Cone of South America, with Argentina and Brazil as neighbors
- Uzbekistan : Previously part of the Soviet Union, a landlocked, predominantly Muslim nation of Central Asia, with Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan as neighbors
- Vanuatu : Republic in the Pacific Ocean, comprising of 80 islands in an archipelago 1,750 kilometres north-east of Australia.
- Venezuela : A Latin American country located at the north of South America.
- Vietnam : A country in Southeast Asia, neighboring China, Laos, and Cambodia, and with seacoast on the Gulf of Thailand, Gulf of Tonkin, and South China Sea. Now the unified Socialist Republic of Vietnam, under a Communist government with a market economic system, it spawned from ancient kingdoms, was a colony called French Indochina, and was partitioned into the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam) and Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam) between 1954 and 1975.
- Yemen : A Middle Eastern country with a coast on the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean, and land borders with Saudi Arabia and Oman.