Archive:Monthly Write-a-Thon/August 1, 2007
What's a Write-a-Thon?
It's a bunch of people getting together on a wiki at a particular time to do a bunch of writing. It's like an online party! Heck no, it is an online party! It's also an excuse for infrequent wikiers to show up and
actually pitch in party hardy.
Our first Write-a-Thon is taking place Wednesday, August 1. Any new article you create, and any edit to a new article that you make, when it's August 1 in your part of the world, will count.
August 1 starts on July 31, 1200 UTC, in New Zealand, and ends on August 2, 1000 UTC, in Hawaii.
What are the rules?
Rules? This is a party! There are no rules!
Well, OK, maybe there are a couple rules:
- If our first one goes all right, we'll have a Write-a-Thon the first Wednesday of every month.
- To participate, you only have to do two things: (1) start a new article (even just a stub will qualify, if not too short), and (2) make a substantive edit (not just a copyedit) to somebody else's new article. Then you can list your name here as a partier.
- Aleta "any excuse for a party" Curry. Edited ABBA, started Grevillea. Yeah, baby! Created A Christmas Carol and reading
- Supten created Hemispheric lateralization, edited Reading
- Ion Morega created Debian and HTTP; edited Python programming language and squeezed a few minor changes in Virtualization just before the party ended :)
- Larry Sanger created musical instrument and fiddle, and edited ABBA, A Christmas Carol, Reading (performance), and Household, and needs help with Musical instrument/Related
- Todd Coles - created Joe Louis, edited Treaty of Union (1707), ABBA, Richard I
- Roger Lohmann created Household, Rural poverty, edited Civil Society entry big-time and added some subpages
- David Hoffman created the Hebrew Bible, a perfect site for collaboration during a write-a-thon, since there's so much to fill in and everyone's an expert ;) Be kind to yours truly, David Hoffman 09:23, 1 August 2007 (CDT) I didn't read an article on Editing, but I did edit one on reading, another great topic for expansion! David Hoffman 10:18, 1 August 2007 (CDT) Scratch that, so to speak. Created editing -- authors of the world unite!
- Hail D*v*d, creator of the Hebrew Bible!
- Denis Cavanagh created Richard I, John I and Henry III. They're all pretty bad, but its a start!
- Paul Derry - Rewrite of Adder (electronics), Good Morning Sunshines! I just added the Amateur radio article :)
- Ian Johnson - created ABBA, edited Grevillea and created Gay bar, to re-establish a gay reputation after the initial macho foray with ABBA earlier today, and also created Beer (Anton Sweeney seemed to be looking for beer)--which is often a popular beverage at many parties. And on porches. And at Gay bars.
- User:Andrew Staroscik: created Microbial ecology, made minor edits on the microbiology main page.
- James F. Perry: Created Treaty of Union (1707), edited Musical instrument
- Greg Woodhouse: created Scheme (language), edited HTTP
- Martin Baldwin-Edwards: restarted Race
- Hayford Peirce created William Haggard and edited Fiddle
- Anton Sweeney created World of Warcraft Trading Card Game, because what's a party without games. Or beer. Why do we have no beer? (That's a hint). After finding some beer, he may try and edit something else. (Later: I did - I edited Beer! Thanks Ian!)
- That's one huge article for a card game, Anton. ;-) Don't let it be said that CZ lacks articles about pop culture! (Which are good to have of course!) --Larry Sanger 08:53, 1 August 2007 (CDT)
- User:David E. Volk created Hayes Carll and Texas Hold 'Em, and edited Musical instrument.
- Aleksander Stos was IDLE for a while, but came here after having a little of pilsner.
- Michael Underwood created a free particle and proved Euclid's lemma.
- Eric M Gearhart created Virtualization and added the reason why there's a Deb in Debian (and why there's a sid too...)
- Joe Quick dug into Milpa agriculture and then sat back to survey his work with a little beer.
- Anthony.Sebastian created Homeostasis (Biology) — a beginning to a long article — and edited Gareth Leng's new article, Adipocyte
- Andrew Chong created boxing, mixed martial arts and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and edited video games and sexual dimorphism.
- Carl Jantzen created International Space Station and edited NASA.
- Gareth Leng created Adipocyte and Endocannabinoid and edited Treaty of Union (1707)
- Anthony Argyriou created Race (sports) and edited Irish dance.
Porch sitters--article creators who didn't edit a new article
- Nereo Preto created Rock (geology) and then edited it. Well, I suppose this doesn't work, isn't it? :)
- Kris Roose 15:30, 1 August 2007 (CEST) created an article on Integration, supposed to be a high order intellectual and communication process
- --Charles Sandberg 20:38, 1 August 2007 (CDT) created an article on Cyrus the Great, founder of the Persian Empire. I'll do more work next time we have a party.
Party crashers--contributors who didn't create a new article
- Morten Juhl Johansen edited Open source software, added a bit to Python and started nagging about the structure of the Linux articles. Also, finally put something into a stub made a long time ago about Andrey Andreyevich Vlasov. Please comment on that text, by the way.
- JeromeDelacroix edited Wiki. Hey, does editing Monthly Write-a-Thon count as my second edit ;) ?
- Stephen Ewen was at first a party poop, busy all by his lonesome writing a how-to document just for new constables. He has now crashed the party and added material to Beer about its ancient history.
The total party poops
- Go ahead, admit it!
- John Stephenson would've created 200 articles if he hadn't been getting to grips with becoming a constable. And there's a typhoon here in Japan, which prevented him from editing, honest.
- March 14, 2021 Power
- January 31, 2021 Stems and branches
- January 24, 2021 Round things
- January 17, 2021 Messaging and Missives
- January 10, 2021 Heavenly bodies!
- July 6, 2011 Standards!
- July 7, 2010 Celebrations!
- June 2, 2010 (no Write-a-Thon)
- May 5, 2010 Humour!
- April 7, 2010 Context or Spring Clean!
- March 3, 2010 Something you absolutely *love*!
- February 3, 2010 The Play's the Thing
- January 6, 2010 Stubs
- December 2, 2009 School
- November 4, 2009 Myths and Mythology
- October 7, 2009 Continents
- September 2, 2009 Design and Designers
- August 5, 2009 Heads of Government/Heads of State
- July 1, 2009 Sudden death
- June 3, 2009 unthemed?
- May 6, 2009 It's a Wide World or: It's a Small World After All!
- April 1, 2009 Events
- March 4, 2009 Spring Cleaning
- February 8, 2009 Thoughts and Books
- January 7, 2009 Controverises
- December 3, 2008 Retro, the 80's
- November 5, 2008 National parks
- October 1, 2008 Spring Cleaning
- September 3, 2008 My favourite bands
- August 6, 2008 Attractions
- July 2, 2008 Olympics
- June 4, 2008 Biographies
- May 7, 2008 Holidays, festivals and fetes
- April 2, 2008 Core articles
- March 5, 2008 Something you absolutely love.
- February 6, 2008
- January 9,2008
- December 5, 2007
- November 7, 2007
- October 3, 2007
- September 5, 2007
- August 1, 2007