- See also changes related to Refineries, or pages that link to Refineries or to this page or whose text .
- Engineering : The profession in which a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences gained by study, experience and practice is applied with judgment to develop ways to economically use the materials and forces of nature for the benefit of mankind.
- Chemical engineering : The field of engineering that deals with industrial and natural processes involving the chemical, physical or biological transformation of matter or energy into forms useful for mankind, economically and safely without compromising the environment
- Amine gas treating : A process using aqueous solutions of amines to remove hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and carbon dioxide (CO2) from gases
- Catalytic reforming : A catalytic chemical process that converts petroleum naphthas into high-octane gasoline components.
- Claus process : A catalytic chemical process for converting gaseous hydrogen sulfide into elemental sulfur.
- Crude oil desalter : A device used in petroleum refineries to remove inorganic salts, water and sediment from the incoming petroleum crude oil feedstock before it is refined.
- Delayed coking : A petroleum refining process that converts heavy residual oils into petroleum coke and other byproducts.
- Fluid catalytic cracking : A petroleum refining process that cracks the large hydrocarbon molecules in the portion of the petroleum crude oil boiling above 340 °C into lower boiling, more valuable high octane gasoline and olefinic gases.
- Hydrodesulfurization : A catalytic chemical process used in petroleum refining to remove sulfur compounds from intermediate and refined end-products.
- Merox : A process for removing the mercaptans from certain petroleum refinery products by oxidizing them to liquid hydrocarbon disulfides.
- Petroleum : Add brief definition or description
- Petroleum refining processes : The chemical engineering processes used in petroleum refining.
- Vacuum distillation : The laboratory or industrial-scale distillation of liquids performed at a pressure lower than atmospheric pressure.
- Visbreaking : A chemical engineering process unit used in petroleum refineries that reduces the viscosity of the residual oil from the refinery's atmospheric or vacuum distillation of petroleum crude oil.
Natural gas processing
- Natural gas : A gas consisting primarily of methane (CH4) which is found as raw natural gas in underground reservoirs, as gas associated with underground reservoirs of petroleum crude oil, as undersea methane hydrates and as coalbed methane in underground coal mines.
- Natural gas condensate : A low-boiling mixture of hydrocarbon liquids that are present as gaseous components in the raw natural gas produced from many natural gas production fields.
- Natural gas processing : Industrial facilities that process raw natural gas to remove contaminants as well as to separate out and recover by product natural gas liquids.
- Bagasse : Add brief definition or description
- Sugar refining : Add brief definition or description
- : A genus of various species of plants, used as raw material for products like sugar and ethanol.
- Sugar beets : Add brief definition or description
- Salt mining : Add brief definition or description
- Sodium chloride : Add brief definition or description
- Evaporators : Add brief definition or description
- Chlor-alkali process : Add brief definition or description
- Upstream, midstream and downstream (petroleum industry) : The terms often used to refer to the major sectors of the petroleum industry.