Joint Chiefs of Staff/Related Articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to Joint Chiefs of Staff, or pages that link to Joint Chiefs of Staff or to this page or whose text .
- National Command Authority : The combination of the U.S. President and Secretary of Defense, or their successors, who have the sole authority to authorize the use of nuclear weapons, or issue orders to Unified Combatant Commands
- National Security Act of 1947 : Core of legislation that restructured the U.S. military from its traditional structure of a separate Army and Navy, creating the United States Air Force, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Central Intelligence Agency, and the predecessor to the U.S. Department of Defense
- Goldwater-Nichols Act of 1968 : Add brief definition or description
- Unified Combatant Command : Operational line-of-commands for United States military groups.
- Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff : The senior member of the uniformed services of the United States, statutory senior military adviser to the President and Secretary of Defense; currently Admiral Mike Mullen; policy developer and adviser not in the operational chain of command
- Mike Mullen : Admiral, United States Navy, who is Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the United States, and previously served as Chief of Naval Operations
- Colin Powell : A retired general in the United States Army who served in high political office, first African-American to be Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and U.S. Secretary of State; minimally partisan although he considered himself a moderate Republican, not a neoconservative
- Maxwell Taylor : U.S. Army officer who commanded Airborne units in the Second World War, he rose to full general and Chief of Staff of the Army. Recalled from retirement by John F. Kennedy, he took on a number of politicomilitary roles including Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Ambassador to South Vietnam.
- Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff : Second-ranking member of the U.S. military and Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), not in the line of operational command but in the statutory advisory function of the JCS
- James Cartwright : General, United States Marine Corps, who serves as Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; former commander, United States Strategic Command
- Peter Pace : General, United States Marine Corps; Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff 2005-2007
- Edmund Giambastini : Director, Atlantic Council; Admiral, retired, United States Navy and Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; member, International Security Advisory Board, United States Department of State
- David Jeremiah : Admiral United States Navy, retired, and Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; Advisor, Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs; chair of advisory panel reviewing the National Reconnaissance Office
- Chief of Staff of the Army : Uniformed professional head of the United States Army, a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and of four-star general rank
- George Casey : U.S. Chief of Staff of the Army since 2007; previously commanded Multi-National Force-Iraq
- Creighton Abrams : General in the U.S. Army, who was the last head of Military Assistance Command, Vietnam and then Chief of Staff of the Army, who built the volunteer army and restructured the reserve components under the Total Force Concept
- William Westmoreland : General in the U.S. Army; Commander, U.S. Military Assistance Command, Vietnam (COMUSMACV)] 1964–1968; Chief of Staff of the Army 1968–1972.
- Harold Johnson : U.S. Chief of Staff of the Army between 1964 and 1968, he was a full general who found himself increasingly at odds with the Vietnam War strategy of Lyndon Baines Johnson and William Westmoreland. He sponsored research on better approaches to counterinsurgency
- Chief of Naval Operations : The senior officer of the United States Navy, not in the operational chain of command but responsible for preparation and readiness of naval forces
- Chief of Staff of the Air Force : The senior uniformed leader of the United States Air Force, responsible for development and readiness of Air Force units and representing the Air Force on the Joint Chiefs of Staff, but not in the line of command over Unified Combatant Commands
- Commandant of the Marine Corps : Add brief definition or description
- Joint Staff : Add brief definition or description
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/Joint Chiefs of Staff. Needs checking by a human.
- Deconfliction : Add brief definition or description
- Defense Intelligence Agency : Add brief definition or description
- Special Assistant for Counterinsurgency and Special Activities : Add brief definition or description