Continuous distillation/Related Articles
- See also changes related to Continuous distillation, or pages that link to Continuous distillation or to this page or whose text .
- Engineering : The profession in which a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences gained by study, experience and practice is applied with judgment to develop ways to economically use the materials and forces of nature for the benefit of mankind.
- Chemical engineering : The field of engineering that deals with industrial and natural processes involving the chemical, physical or biological transformation of matter or energy into forms useful for mankind, economically and safely without compromising the environment
- Air stripping : The transferring of volatile organic compounds (VOC) and/or other volatile components of a liquid into an air stream.
- Azeotropic distillation : Add brief definition or description
- Batch distillation : Add brief definition or description
- Boiling point : The temperature at which the vapor pressure of the liquid equals the external environmental pressure surrounding the liquid and the liquid initiates boiling.
- Distillation Design : A chemical engineering book that completely covers the design of industrial distillation columns.
- Extractive distillation : Add brief definition or description
- Fenske equation : An equation for calculating the minimum number of theoretical plates needed to separate a binary feed stream by a fractionation column operated at total reflux (i.e., meaning that no overhead product is being withdrawn from the column).
- Flash evaporation : The partial vaporization that occurs when a saturated liquid stream undergoes a reduction in pressure by passing through a throttling valve or other throttling device.
- Fractionation Research Inc. : A non-profit industrial research consortium that investigates the performance of the mass transfer devices, such as trays and packings, used in industrial-scale distillation columns.
- McCabe-Thiele method : A graphical method considered to be the simplest, most instructive method for the analysis of binary distillation.
- Petroleum refining processes : The chemical engineering processes used in petroleum refining.
- Reflux (distillation) : A distillation technique involving the condensation of the distilled product vapors and the return of a portion of the condensate to the distillation system from which it originated.
- Relative volatility : A measure that compares the vapor pressures of components in a liquid mixture that is widely used in designing distillation and similar separation processes.
- Reboiler : Typically a heat exchanger or a fired heater used to provide heat to the bottom of an industrial distillation column (also referred to as a distillation tower).
- Steam distillation : Add brief definition or description
- Theoretical plate : A hypothetical zone or stage in a chemical engineering separation process in which two phases, such as the liquid and vapor phases of a substance, establish an equilibrium with each other.
- Vacuum distillation : The laboratory or industrial-scale distillation of liquids performed at a pressure lower than atmospheric pressure.
- Warren K. Lewis : A major leader in the development of chemical engineering in the United States, often referred to as the father of modern chemical engineering for his role in coordination of chemistry, physics and engineering into an independent discipline serving the chemical industry.