Battle of Sicily/Related Articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to Battle of Sicily, or pages that link to Battle of Sicily or to this page or whose text .
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/Battle of Sicily. Needs checking by a human.
- 1st Canadian Infantry Division : A formation of the Canadian Army, created for service in the Second World War, disbanded in 1945, reactivated twice during the Cold War, and no longer active
- 1st Infantry Division (U.S.) : A prominent U.S. Army division, known as the "Big Red One" for its insignia, a bold red 1 on a green shield; stationed in Fort Riley, Kansas.
- Air assault : Military operations in which infantry are carried by aircraft onto, or very near, the target, or by parachuting. The aircraft may be helicopters, tilt-rotor aircraft, short-landing transports, or, historically, gliders.
- Army : Either the largest type of formation for a land-based military force, or the entirety of a nation's military force responsible for its land defenses.
- Fast attack craft : Small naval craft, used in coastal waters, which rely on speed and maneuverability to survive to deliver heavy weapons (e.g., torpedoes, anti-shipping missiles) against warships, or to make gunfire attacks on merchant ships and landing craft
- George Patton : (1885 - 1945) Controversial American general in World War II, famed for his successes in armored warfare against the Germans in 1944-45.
- Glider : Type of unpowered aircraft that uses aerodynamic lift to slow its rate of descent.
- Military formation (ground) : The military term for a grouping of units.
- Omar Bradley : (1893-1981) An American general during World War II and the Korean war, as well as Chief of Staff of the Army and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Paratroop : A subset of air assault military forces, which arrive at a tactical objective by deliberately parachuting from aircraft
- Rome : The capital city of Italy.
- Royal Navy : By long naval tradition, when there is no qualifier but "Royal", the navy being discussed is that of the United Kingdom.
- Seventh United States Army : Headquarters for the U.S. Army elements of United States European Command; the largest formation in the United States Army. Also designated USAREUR. Major U.S. Army formation in the WWII Battle of Sicily (Operation HUSKY)
- Unified Combatant Command : Operational line-of-commands for United States military groups.
- United States European Command : U.S. Unified Combatant Command with responsibility for Europe and some nearby areas, such as the Mediterranean Sea; United States Africa Command is a subcommand