Imperial Japanese Navy/Related Articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to Imperial Japanese Navy, or pages that link to Imperial Japanese Navy or to this page or whose text .
- Japan : East Asian country of about 3,000 islands; one of the world's largest economies; population about 125,000,000.
- Second World War in the Pacific : The part of World War II (1937-45) fought in Asia and the Pacific Ocean between Japan and the U.S., China, Britain, Australia, and other Allies.
- Navy Ministry (Japan) : Add brief definition or description
- Imperial General Headquarters (Japan) : Add brief definition or description
- Commander-in-Chief, Combined Fleet : Operational commander of main Imperial Japanese Navy forces in the Second World War
Second World War
- USS Panay incident : Add brief definition or description
- Battle of Pearl Harbor : Imperial Japanese Navy raid on United States' naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, which took place on the morning of Sunday, December 7, 1941.
- Sinking of HMS Repulse and HMS Renown : Add brief definition or description
- Battle of the Java Sea : A devastating Imperial Japanese Navy victory over an ad hoc Allied force, 27-28 February 1942, fought by cruisers and destroyers, ending Allied naval resistance in what the Japanese termed the Southern Resource Area by 1 March
- Battle of the Coral Sea : Fought in May 1942, the first battle between naval forces built around aircraft carriers, in which the opposing United States and Japanese ships never saw one another; it was a tactical Japanese defeat and strategic U.S. victory
- Battle of Savo Island : A night cruiser-destroyer engagement during the Guadalcanal Campaign, among the worst defeats for the United States Navy, which lost four cruisers
- Battle of Cape Esperance : A night naval engagement between U.S. and Japanese forces, 11-12 October 1942, off the northernmost point of Guadalcanal
- First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal : Add brief definition or description
- Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal : Add brief definition or description
- Battle of Rennell Island : The last naval battle of the Guadalcanal Campaign, in which a U.S. cruiser-destroyer force under Rear Admiral "Ike" Giffen, concerned with meeting a schedule, sped ahead of its escort carriers and was attacked by Japanese aircraft from Rabaul
- Battle of Midway : Generally considered to be the turning point of the Pacific Theater in the Second World War, a Japanese force intending to capture Midway Island was turned back with the loss of four aircraft carriers, at the cost of one U.S. carrier; it was the last major Japanese offensive of the war
- Battle of the Eastern Solomons : Fought in August 1942 between U.S. and Japanese forces, and the second of the five World War II battles fought between carrier units; U.S. lost more ships, Japanese lost more aircraft, and Japanese reinforcement of Guadalcanal was prevented while U.S. Marines fought off a determined ground attack on the airfield
- Battle of the Philippine Sea : An carrier battle between the U.S. and Japan in June 1944, called the "Great Marianas Turkey Shoot" due to the extremely heavy Japanese aircraft losses, marked the end of offensive Japanese capabilities, and gave the U.S. control of the islands from which the major B-29 bomber offensive against the Japanese Home Islands could be conducted
- Battle of Leyte Gulf : The largest naval battle in history, fought in October 1944 as Japan tried to interfere with U.S. amphibious landings in the Philippines
- Mineichi Koga : Add brief definition or description
- Jisaburo Ozawa : Add brief definition or description
- Heihachiro Togo : Add brief definition or description
- Soemu Toyoda : Add brief definition or description
- Isoroku Yamamoto : Add brief definition or description
- Mitsumasa Yonai : Add brief definition or description
- Sokichi Takagi : Add brief definition or description
- Chuichi Nagumo : Add brief definition or description
- Takajiro Onishi : Add brief definition or description
- Tamon Yamaguchi : Add brief definition or description