Battle of the Eastern Solomons/Related Articles
- World War II in the Pacific : Operations between Japan and Allied forces, 1941-1945
- Pacific Ocean Areas : During World War Two, the area of operations in the central Pacific Ocean under the command of Chester W. Nimitz.
- Guadalcanal campaign : The first Allied offensive campaign of the Pacific theater in WWII, fought August 7, 1942 and February 9, 1943; Allied victory
- Frank Jack Fletcher : Admiral, U.S. Navy, who commanded carrier task forces in 1942, but was transferred to a less critical command after heavy losses in the Battle of the Eastern Solomons, and some concerns about his aggressiveness
- USS Enterprise (CV-6) : Yorktown-class U.S. aircraft carrier; commissioned in May 1938; served through the Second World War; scrapped 1958
- USS Hornet (CV-8) : U.S. Yorktown-class aircraft carrier; commissioned in October 1941; participated in Doolittle Raid and Battle of Midway; sunk at the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands in November 1942