Outer space/Related Articles
- See also changes related to Outer space, or pages that link to Outer space or to this page or whose text .
- Earth science : The study of the components and processes of the planet Earth.
- Military : The standing armed forces of a country, that are directed by the national government and are tasked with that nation's defense.
- Law : Body of rules of conduct of binding legal force and effect, prescribed, recognized, and enforced by a controlling authority.
- Atmospheric science : The umbrella term for the study of the Earth's atmosphere.
- Meteorology : The interdisciplinary scientific study of the processes and phenomena of the atmosphere, including weather studies and forecasting
- Atmosphere : The layers of gas surrounding stars and planets.
- Atmospheric reentry : The movement of human-made or natural objects as they enter the atmosphere of a planet from outer space, in the case of Earth from an altitude above the 'edge of space.'
- Ballistic missile : A guided missile which, once its engines stop firing, follows a generally parabolic path to its target, defined by momentum, aerodynamic resistance, and gravity
- Earth's atmosphere : An envelope of gas that surrounds the Earth and extends from the Earth's surface out thousands of kilometres, becoming increasingly thinner (less dense) with distance but always held in place by Earth's gravitational pull.
- Exosphere : The uppermost layer of an atmosphere.
- Heterosphere : Upper portion of a two-part division of the atmosphere (the lower portion is the homosphere) according to the general homogeneity of atmospheric composition, starts at 50-62 miles (80-100 kilometers) above the earth.
- Homosphere : Lower portion of a two-part division of the atmosphere (the upper portion is the heterosphere) according to the general homogeneity of atmospheric composition, which includes all of the atmosphere from the earth's surface to about 50 to 62 miles (80-100 kilometers).
- Ionosphere : Add brief definition or description
- Mesosphere : Layer of the Earth's atmosphere that is directly above the stratosphere and directly below the thermosphere, located about 50 to 85 kilometers (30 to 50 miles) above the Earth's surface.
- Ozone layer : Add brief definition or description
- Project Apollo : A human spaceflight program undertaken by NASA during the years 1961–1975 with the goal of conducting manned moon landing missions.
- Rocket science : Variously an incorrect name for various engineering disciplines in dealing with unguided rockets or the rocket engines of more intelligent vehicles, or an ironic description of something very complex or very simple (i.e., "this isn't rocket science")
- Satellite orbits : The path of a celestial body or an artificial satellite as it revolves around another body.
- Space Race : A competition of space exploration between the United States and Soviet Union, which lasted roughly from 1957 to 1975.
- Space law : Area of the law that encompasses national and international law governing activities in outer space, developed since the first launching (1957) by humans of a satellite into space.
- Stratosphere : Second major layer of Earth's atmosphere, just above the troposphere, and below the mesosphere, stratified in temperature, with warmer layers higher up and cooler layers farther down.
- Suborbital : A vehicle that flies through a trajectory that takes it into outer space, but does not achieve orbit or Earth escape velocity
- Thermosphere : Layer of the earth's atmosphere, directly above the mesosphere and directly below the exosphere, where ultraviolet radiation causes ionization and auroras also occur.
- Troposphere : The lowest of the main layers of the Earth's atmosphere, extending up about 12km from Earth's surface.