From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Vietnam : A country in Southeast Asia, neighboring China, Laos, and Cambodia, and with seacoast on the Gulf of Thailand, Gulf of Tonkin, and South China Sea. Now the unified Socialist Republic of Vietnam, under a Communist government with a market economic system, it spawned from ancient kingdoms, was a colony called French Indochina, and was partitioned into the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam) and Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam) between 1954 and 1975.
- Haiphong : Vietnam's third largest city and second largest port, and largest transportation area for northern Vietnam; key military supply import point during the Vietnam War
- Hanoi : Located on the Red River in northern Vietnam (i.e., Tonkin), it is the national capital, about 65 miles west of Haiphong, on the South China Sea
- Red River Delta : Add brief definition or description
- Tuyen Quang Province : Add brief definition or description
- Bac Kan Province : A province in the mountainous north-central part of Vietnam, where simultaneous economic development is focused on ecologically sound mining and tourism
- Lang Son Province : A province of Vietnam, in a relatively remote area on the Chinese border, that may add transportation and tourism to its current agricultural economy
- Thai Nguyen Province : A province of northern Vietnam, between Hanoi and the Chinese border provinces, becoming an educational, research, and economic center
- Dien Bien Phu : Site in northern Vietnam of a 1954 decisive battle that soon forced France to relinquish control of colonial Indochina.
- Battle of Na San : A successful yet modest 1952 operation conducted by French paratroopers, who seized a forward base, and, under optimal conditions, formed a rock of a defense against which Viet Minh smashed themselves. It may have set unrealistic expectations for Dien Bien Phu
- Battle of Vinh Yen : A battle of the Indochinese revolution, with disastrous results for the Viet Minh, who attacked French positions, without cover, in range of air attack and naval gunfire
- Annam : The central region in those parts of French Indochina that eventually became South Vietnam; was the Kingdom of Dai Viet and then the Empire of Annam
- Cochin China : In French Indochina, the southernmost part of Vietnam, including the Mekong Delta; roughly corresponded to IV Corps tactical zone of the Republic of Vietnam