From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Chemistry : The science of matter, or of the electrical or electrostatical interactions of matter.
- Engineering : The profession in which a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences gained by study, experience and practice is applied with judgment to develop ways to economically use the materials and forces of nature for the benefit of mankind.
- Physics : The study of forces and energies in space and time.
- Chemical engineering : The field of engineering that deals with industrial and natural processes involving the chemical, physical or biological transformation of matter or energy into forms useful for mankind, economically and safely without compromising the environment
- Thermodynamics : The statistical description of the properties of molecular systems
- Air preheater : A general term to describe any device designed to preheat the combustion air used in a fuel-burning furnace for the purpose of increasing the thermal efficiency of the furnace.
- Cogeneration : Add brief definition or description
- Combined power and heat : Add brief definition or description
- Condensate polishing : An ion exchange process used to purify the steam condensate produced in high-pressure steam generation facilities such as those in large thermal power plants.
- Conventional coal-fired power plant : An industrial plant which produces electricity by burning of coal and air in a steam generator that heats water to produce high pressure steam which then flows through a series of steam turbines that spin an electrical generator to generate electricity.
- Deaerator : A device used for the removal of air and other dissolved gases from the feedwater to steam generating boilers.
- Enthalpy : Energy function of thermodynamic system equal to internal energy plus pV (pressure times volume).
- Entropy (thermodynamics) : Thermodynamic variable S appearing in the second law of thermodynamics.
- Gas : One of the major states of matter (i.e., gas, liquid, solid and plasma).
- Heat : A form of energy that flows spontaneously from hotter to colder bodies that are in thermal contact.
- Pressure : A ratio equal to the force applied perpendicular to the surface of the area divided by that area (force/area).
- Steam generator : A device that uses a heat source to boil liquid water and convert it into its vapor phase, referred to as steam.
- Steam turbine : Add brief definition or description
- Temperature : A fundamental quantity in physics - describes how warm or cold a system is.
- Water : A chemical compound with one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms (H20). It is often in a liquid form and makes up the bulk of the oceans, lakes, rivers and living organisms.