Select Agent Program/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Select Agent Program, or pages that link to Select Agent Program or to this page or whose text .
- Biological weapon : Living organisms, or substances produced by living organisms, used as weapons to produce death or disease in human or agricultural populations
- Biosafety : The knowledge and techniques needed for the safe handling and confinement of pathogens, including containment principles at various biosafety levels, facility design, to prevent occupational infections in the workplace or release of the organisms to the environment
- Bioterrorism : Add brief definition or description
- Infectious disease : In broad terms, diseases caused by living organisms; also a subspecialty of internal medicine concerned with the treatment of such diseases
- Overlap agent : A microbe or toxin that must be monitored for hazards both to people and agriculture
- Attenuated strain : Add brief definition or description
- CDC Bioterrorism Agents-Disease list : Add brief definition or description
- Recombinant DNA : Genetically engineered DNA prepared by transplanting or splicing genes from one species into the cells of a host organism of a different species, which becomes part of the host's genetic makeup and is replicated.
- Pathogen : The organism that causes an infectious disease
- Viral hemorrhagic fever : Illnesses that are caused by five distinct families of RNA viruses: the Arenaviridae, Filoviridae, Bunyaviridae, Togaviridae, and Flaviviridae, characterized by fever and bleeding disorders that can all progress to high fever, shock and death in extreme cases.