Biological hierarchy/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Biological hierarchy: Life from molecules to cells to organisms, populations and ecosystems.
This article contains just a definition and optionally other subpages (such as a list of related articles), but no metadata. if you want to expand this into a full article.
- Self-organization : The ability of matter to structure itself; a precondition for life.
- Biology : The science of life — of complex, self-organizing, information-processing systems living in the past, present or future.
- Life : Living systems, of which biologists seek the commonalities distinguishing them from nonliving systems.
- Molecule : An aggregate of two or more atoms in a definite arrangement held together by chemical bonds.
- Macromolecule : Add brief definition or description
- Pathway (biology) : Add brief definition or description
- Cell (biology) : The basic unit of life, consisting of biochemical networks enclosed by a membrane.
- Tissue (biology) : A set of structurally and functionally similar cells in a multicellular organism.
- Organ (biology) : Add brief definition or description
- Organism : An individual living individual: a complex, adaptive physical system that acts a integrated unit that sustains metabolism and reproduces progeny that resemble it.
- Group (biology) : Add brief definition or description
- Population (biology) : Add brief definition or description
- Ecosystem : A space in which multiple biological species interact.
- Biosphere : The entirety of places on Earth inhabited by living organisms.
- Origin of life : How did self-replicating biochemistry and cells arise from the prebiotic world approximately four billion years ago? Aka abiogenesis.
- Catalysis : A process that uses a substance (known as a catalyst) to accelerate the rate of a chemical reaction through an uninterrupted and repeated cycle of elementary steps until the last step regenerates the catalyst in its original form.
- Autocatalysis : Add brief definition or description
- Enzyme : A protein that catalyzes (i.e. accelerate) chemical reactions.
- Ribozyme : A ribonucleic acid with catalytic activity.
- RNA world : Add brief definition or description