P-3 Orion/Related Articles
- See also changes related to P-3 Orion, or pages that link to P-3 Orion or to this page or whose text .
- Naval warfare : The military history of the organized navies of the world from 300 BCE to the present.
- Anti-surface warfare : (ASuW) In the context of naval warfare, the mission of attacking surface vessels, from small boats to supertankers and aircraft carriers, from platforms under naval command and control
- Anti-submarine warfare : (ASW) In the context of naval warfare, the mission of attacking underwater vessels, from platforms under naval command and control.
- C3I-ISR : Command, control, communications and intelligence, combined with intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance
- Littoral warfare : Air, sea, subsurface, and land warfare that takes place in waters near a coast, or on coastal land areas.
- EP-3 Aries II : Signals intelligence variant of P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft; slower than Air Force RC-135 comparable aircraft
- VP-3 : Add brief definition or description
- NP-3C : Add brief definition or description
- Torpedo : A naval weapon that travels underwater, using its own propulsion, to attack its target, minimally with onboard mechanisms to keep it on a straight course. Modern torpedoes are underwater guided missiles that can track their target and adjust their course to hit it
- Anti-shipping missile : An air, surface (sea or land), or submarine-launched missile that can track and intercept a maneuvering ship target against the background of moving water
- Air-to-surface missile : Launched from an fixed-wing aircraft or helicopter, missiles of this category have a wide variety of ranges, sensors, autonomy vs. man-in-the-loop control, warheads, and need for battle damage assessment
- Radar : (acronym for "radio detection and ranging") A technique used for detecting and tracking targets, navigation, imagery, and special applications.
- Littoral Surveillance Radar System : An active electronically scanned array (AESA) surveillance radar, currently used on maritime patrol aircraft also used in littoral (military) and overland operation; the still highly classified system will go onto next-generation surveillance aircraft and provide targeting information to precision-guided munitions
- Sonobuoy : Air-dropped, expendable sensors for anti-submarine warfare
- Protected Instrument Landing System
- Identification-friend-or-foe : Add brief definition or description Mode S and Required Navigation Performance Area Navigation,
- AN/ASQ-60 Autopilot
- Joint Tactical Information Distribution System : The primary communications system used for sharing tactical information internally, and among NATO, Australia, and other U.S. allies
- AN/USC-42(V)3 : Add brief definition or description Miniaturized Demand Assigned Multiple Access [Mini-DAMA] will provide for secure voice communications. Mini-DAMA provides for the transmission, reception, and decryption of OTCIXS data and the subsequent routing of that data to the OASIS III TDP.
- OZ-72 : Add brief definition or description(V) Multi-Mission Advanced Tactical Terminal [MATT] system will provide Tactical Receive Equipment (TRE) capability to receive and decrypt three simultaneous channels of Tactical Data Information Exchange Subsystem (TADIXS-B), Tactical Related Applications (TRAP), and Tactical Information Broadcast Service (TIBS) information
- Over-the-Horizon Airborne Sensor Information System : Add brief definition or description [OASIS III], to process and correlate all data provided via MATT and Mini-DAMA. This links to the Officer in Tactical Command Information Exchange System (OTCIXS) message link]
- AN/AAR-47 : A threat detector for aircraft; all versions detect the heat of oncoming missiles; modified versions also detect laser designator beams
- AN/ALE-47 : An intelligent countermeasures dispenser for military aircraft, which can receive commands directly from warning receivers, and dispense expendable radar and infrared decoys, as well as manage a retrievable decoy towed via an fiber optic cable
- AN/AAS-36A : Add brief definition or description Infrared Detecting Set [IRDS] operating both in thermal imaging and visual light modes.
- AN/AVX-1 : Add brief definition or descriptionElectro-Optical Sensor System [EOSS] stabilized day to night vision device.
- AN/APS-137B(V)5 : Add brief definition or descriptionradar with navigation, weather, and SAR and ISAR imaging. is capable of multimode operation to provide periscope and small target detection, navigation, weather avoidance, long range surface search and Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) and ISAR imaging modes. SAR is best against fixed targets and ISAR against moving targets including surfaced submarines. All output can be recorded.\
Electronic warfare and electronic intelligence
- EP-2060 Pulse Analyzer : Add brief definition or description with AN/ALR-66C(V)3 ELINT/electronic support receiver. The C version incorporates a spinning direction-finding antenna.
- AN/USQ-78(V) : Add brief definition or description Single Advanced Signal Processor system Display Control Unit
- AN/ALQ-158(V) : Add brief definition or description Adaptive Controlled Phased Array System [ACPA] VHF sonobuoy receiving antenna system amplifies reception of sonobuoy signals
- AN/ARR-78(V)1 : Add brief definition or description Advanced Sonobuoy Communications Link [ASCL] Receiver contains 20 receiver modules, each capable of accepting RF operating channels 1-99 (those sonobuoy channels now in use and those being developed for future use)
- AN/UYS-1( : Add brief definition or descriptionV) Single Advanced Signal Processor System (SASP) of two basic subsystems, both controlled by :
- UYS-1 : Add brief definition or description}(V)10 Analyzer Detecting Set, also called the AU, is installed with a primary function of processing acoustic signals through the use of a Spectrum Analyzer TS-4271/UYS-1(V).
- USQ-78(V) : Add brief definition or description SASP Display Control Unit (DCU)'
- AN/ARS-5 : Add brief definition or description Receiver-Converter Sonobuoy Reference System not only allows monitoring of sonoboys at a distance, but, when one of the remote buoys detects a signal, the display unit considers the aircraft's current course, the bearing to the target, and the display appears with the "fly to" bearing.
- AN/ARC-230 : Add brief definition or description High Frequency (HF) radio, built around Rockwell-Collins HF-121C voice and data operation at 400W transmit power
- USQ-130/AN/USQ-130 : Add brief definition or description Data Link
- Tom Carper : U.S. Senator (D-Delaware), Deputy Whip, Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs; the Environment and Public Works; Finance Committee; co-chair, Moderate Dems Working Group; honorary President, Third Way; former U.S. Navy P-3 Orion pilot
- Shane Osborn : U.S. Navy pilot of EP-3 Aries II signals intelligence aircraft in a mid-air collision with a Chinese fighter; landed the damaged aircraft successfully
- Richard Gurnon : President of Massachusetts Maritime Academy; rear admiral, U.S. Maritime Service; U.S. Navy P-3 Orion instructor pilot