- Opioid receptor : G-protein coupled receptors located in the brain and various organs that bind opiates or opioid substances as ligands.
- Opioid analgesic : Synthetic narcotic that has opiate-like activities, which induces analgesia by mimicking endogenous opioids, at opioid receptors in the brain.
- Prodrug : A chemical compound that becomes metabolized into an active drug.
- Drug trade : Add brief definition or description
- Morphine : The clinical prototype for all pure agonist opioid analgesics; occurs in the native opium poppy; molecule is a derivative of phenanthrene
- Blood-brain barrier : Specialized non-fenestrated tightly-joined endothelial cells with tight junctions that form a transport barrier for certain substances between the cerebral capillaries and the brain tissue.
- Cocaine : A crystalline tropane alkaloid that is obtained from the leaves of the coca plant, that is both a stimulant of the central nervous system and an appetite suppressant; it is also a local anesthetic primarily used in otolaryngology
- Drug Enforcement Administration : Federal government agency charged with enforcing controlled substances laws and regulations in the United States.
- Food and Drug Administration : The agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services responsible for regulating food, dietary supplements, drugs, biological medical products, blood products, medical devices, radiation-emitting devices, veterinary products, and cosmetics.
- Janis Joplin : (19 January 1943 – 4 October 1970) American singer, songwriter and music arranger, from Port Arthur, Texas.
- Marijuana : Commonly used drug obtained from the flowering tops, stems, and leaves of the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa or C. indica.
- Naloxone : Opiate antagonist, that binds receptors of endogenous opiates or drugs like morphine, codeine and heroin.
- Rhabdomyolysis : Acute, fulminant, potentially fatal disease that destroys skeletal muscle and is often accompanied by the excretion of myoglobin in the urine.
- U.S. intelligence and transnational crime and drugs : Activities of the United States intelligence community that are concerned with transnational crime and the drug trade, beyond the jurisdiction of domestic law enforcement