Writing system/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Writing system, or pages that link to Writing system or to this page or whose text .
- Linguistics : The scientific study of language.
- Language (general) : A type of communication system; this term is used in linguistics, computer science and other fields to refer to different systems, including 'natural language' in humans, programming languages run on computers, and so on.
- Written language : The communication and representation of a language by means of a writing system.
- Writing : The process of recording thoughts or speech in a visually or haptically retrievable manner.
- Orthography : Art or study of correct spelling and grammar according to established usage.
- Reading (process) : Process of understanding and gaining knowledge from written text.
- Alphabet : Writing system in which symbols - single or multiple letters, such as <a> or <ch> - represent phonemes (significant 'sounds') of a language.
- Letter (alphabet) : Symbol in an alphabetic script, usually denoting one or more phonemes; for example, in the English alphabet the letter <a> can represent the phoneme /æ/ as in mat and /eɪ/ as in mate.
- Mora : Unit of phonology which organises sequences of segments such as [h] and [o] into larger units (e.g. ほ ho in Japanese) which are subject to phonological rules, such as influencing which syllable in a word is stressed (as in English), or how long a syllable is relative to others (as in Japanese).
- : Unit of written language that may represent one or more phonemes, syllables, morphemes or words; e.g. in English <b> is a grapheme usually representing /b/, and <th> are two graphemes representing in some cases the single phoneme /θ/, in others the single phoneme /ð/.
- Spoken language : An example of language produced using some of the articulatory organs, e.g. the mouth, vocal folds or lungs, or intended for production by these organs; alternatively, the entire act of communicating verbally - what people mean or intend, the words they use, their accent, intonation and so on.
- Chinese characters : (simplified Chinese 汉字; traditional Chinese: 漢字) are symbols used to write varieties of Chinese and - in modified form - other languages; world's oldest writing system in continuous use.
- Kanji : (漢字) Chinese-derived characters used to write some elements of the Japanese language.