From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Earth science : The study of the components and processes of the planet Earth.
- Atmospheric chemistry : Add brief definition or description
- Chemistry : The science of matter, or of the electrical or electrostatical interactions of matter.
- Engineering : The profession in which a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences gained by study, experience and practice is applied with judgment to develop ways to economically use the materials and forces of nature for the benefit of mankind.
- Chemical engineering : The field of engineering that deals with industrial and natural processes involving the chemical, physical or biological transformation of matter or energy into forms useful for mankind, economically and safely without compromising the environment
- Environmental engineering : A field of engineering devoted to remediation of all forms of pollution.
- Air : A colorless, odorless and tasteless mixture of gases consisting mostly of nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2) which is the part of Earth's atmosphere that humans and all other animals breathe in order to obtain the oxygen needed to sustain life.
- Air pollutant concentrations : Methods for conversion of air pollutant concentrations.
- Air pollution : The presence of contaminants or pollutant substances in the air (air pollutants) that interfere with human health or welfare, or produce other harmful environmental effects.
- Air pollution emissions : The term used to describe any gases, liquid droplets and solid particulates which are emitted or discharged into the atmospheric air and adversely affect the health of humans, animals, ecosystems or the usefulness of a natural resource.
- Air Quality Index : A number used by government agencies to characterize the quality of the ambient air at a given location.
- Clean Air Act (U.S.) : A law enacted by the U.S. Congress that defines the responsibilities of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) for protecting and improving the nation's air quality and the stratospheric ozone layer.
- Earth's atmosphere : An envelope of gas that surrounds the Earth and extends from the Earth's surface out thousands of kilometres, becoming increasingly thinner (less dense) with distance but always held in place by Earth's gravitational pull.
- European Environment Agency : An agency of the European Union (EU) established as a major source of information and data for developing, adopting, implementing and evaluating environmental policy by member European countries.
- Fog : A visible mass of water droplets, or frozen crystals of water, suspended in the atmosphere at or close to the Earth's surface.
- Meteorology : The interdisciplinary scientific study of the processes and phenomena of the atmosphere, including weather studies and forecasting
- National Ambient Air Quality Standards : Concentration limits set by the United States Environmental Protection Agency for outdoor ambient air pollutants considered harmful to public health and the environment.
- Particulates : Very small particles of solid and liquid matter suspended in a gas or very small particles of solid matter suspended in a liquid.
- Smoke : Smoke is an airborne mixture of solid and liquid particulates and gases formed when a material undergoes combustion..
- South Coast Air Quality Management District : The local governmental agency in California responsible mainly for regulating stationary sources of air pollution in all of Orange county and the urban portions of Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
- UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs : The governmental department responsible for protection of the environment, food production and standards, agriculture, fisheries and rural matters in the United Kingdom (UK).
- UK Environment Agency : An environmental protection agency that is a non-departmental public body of the UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and a sponsored public body of the National Assembly for Wales.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency : An agency of the federal government of the United States of America whose mission is to protect human health and safeguard the natural environment (air, water and land) of the nation