From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Africa : Continent stretching over the equator, hosting deserts, tropical jungles and savannah as well as over fifty nations; population about 900,000,000.
- Pastoralism : Add brief definition or description
- Burkina Faso : Landlocked West African nation with significant gold reserves and an economy based primarily on cotton; formerly a French colony (population about 18 million).
- Chad : A landlocked country in East Africa and the Sahel, forming the western border of the Darfur Conflict, and having newly discovered oil running by pipeline to Cameroon on the Atlantic coast of West Africa
- Eritrea : Republic located along the north-east littoral of Africa, adjacent to the Horn of Africa and Red Sea.
- Ethiopia : Among the oldest countries of the world, from which Muslim-majority Eritrea split after a civil war; Coptic Christian-majority state in East Africa
- Kenya : A country of 38 million in East Africa.
- Mali : Landlocked republic in Africa, bounded north-west by Mauritania, north-east by Algeria, west by Senegal, east by Niger, and south by Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, and Guinea.
- Niger : A country in Western Africa, with one of the worst qualities of life in the world.
- Nigeria : Country on the coast of West Africa, bordering the Atlantic Ocean in the south, Niger to the north, Benin to the west, and Cameroon to the east.
- Somaliland : Add brief definition or description
- Sudan : A nation in East Africa/Horn of Africa, with the largest land area of any country in Africa, and near-continuous civil wars since British independence in 1956; effectively a federation of Arab and African parts, with the southern region voting for independence in 2011.