Language planning/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Language planning, or pages that link to Language planning or to this page or whose text .
- Linguistics : The scientific study of language.
- Sociolinguistics : Branch of linguistics concerned with language in social contexts - how people use language, how it varies, how it contributes to users' sense of identity, etc.
- Multilingualism : The state of knowing two or more languages, either in individuals or whole speech communities.
- Lingua franca : Any language used for widespread communication between groups who do not share a native language or where native speakers are typically in the minority; name from 'Lingua Franca', a pidgin once used around the Mediterranean.
- Official language : one given political recognition in a region, usually a state, and typically used in politics and law.
- Standard language : Versatile variety of a language that is able to perform the highest functions for communication in a society, that serves as a reference and that represents the whole language beyond its dialects.
- Pluricentric language : Language with different standard varieties, originating from different states (sometimes from different regions, dialects or communities), without precluding the unity of the language.