Official language/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Official language, or pages that link to Official language or to this page or whose text .
- Sociolinguistics : Branch of linguistics concerned with language in social contexts - how people use language, how it varies, how it contributes to users' sense of identity, etc.
- Language planning : In sociolinguistics, the name for any political attempt to change the status of a language in some way or develop new ways of using it, e.g. a government devising laws to promote a language, or scholars producing an official dictionary; the former is status planning (changing the political recognition of a language), the latter corpus planning (changing the way a language is used).
- National language : Add brief definition or description
- Minority language : Add brief definition or description
- Standard language : Versatile variety of a language that is able to perform the highest functions for communication in a society, that serves as a reference and that represents the whole language beyond its dialects.
- Multilingualism : The state of knowing two or more languages, either in individuals or whole speech communities.