From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Arctic Ocean : The sea around the Earth's North pole.
- Atlantic Ocean : Second largest ocean in the world; separates the Americas from Europe and Africa.
- Geography : Study of the surface of the Earth and the activities of humanity upon it.
- Europe : Sixth largest continent; area 10,000,000 km2; pop. 720,000,000
- Scandinavia : Region and peninsula in Northern Europe.
- Island : Land mass, especially one smaller than a continent, entirely surrounded by water.
- Country : Nation, state, region, or territory, or large tract of land distinguishable by features of topography, biology, or culture.
- Reykjavík : Add brief definition or description
- Alþingi : Add brief definition or description
- Jón Sigurðsson : Add brief definition or description
- Icelandic language : Add brief definition or description
- Eyjafjallajökull : A subglacial volcano in the South of Iceland with eruptions in 920, 1612, 1821-1823, and 2010.
- Icelandic Modern Media Initiative : A parliamentary initiative aimed at adapting freedom of expression and related legal frameworks to the web age; considered by many to be the most progressive legal framework on the planet for these issues.
- Biotechnology : The application of biological principles in industrial production
- British Isles : Group of islands off the northwest coast of Europe comprising Great Britain, Ireland, and adjacent smaller islands.
- Cod Wars : Add brief definition or description
- Genome research : Add brief definition or description
- European Environment Agency : An agency of the European Union (EU) established as a major source of information and data for developing, adopting, implementing and evaluating environmental policy by member European countries.
- Fishing : Add brief definition or description
- Fjord : Add brief definition or description
- Germanic language : Add brief definition or description
- Greenland : The largest Island in the Arctic Ocean.
- Hotspot (geology) : Add brief definition or description
- Mid-Atlantic Ridge : Add brief definition or description
- Norway : A constitutional monarchy in northern Europe on the western side of the Scandinavian Peninsula.
- Old Norse : North Germanic language that was spoken by inhabitants of Scandinavia and inhabitants of their overseas settlements during the Viking Age, until about 1300.
- Vikings : A generic term applied to Scandinavian raiders in Western Europe, active from the 8th to the 11th century A D.
- Whale meat : The edible flesh of various species of whale.
- Whaling : The hunting of whales for their meat and other components which are useful to humans, such as oil.