From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Life : Living systems, of which biologists seek the commonalities distinguishing them from nonliving systems.
- Developmental biology : The study of how cells grow and interact to form an organism.
- Organism : An individual living individual: a complex, adaptive physical system that acts a integrated unit that sustains metabolism and reproduces progeny that resemble it.
- Animal : A multicellular organism that feeds on other organisms, and is distinguished from plants, fungi, and unicellular organisms.
- Plant (organism) : A eukaryotic organism, grouped into the kingdom Plantae, that typically synthesizes nutrients through photosynthesis and possesses the inability to voluntarily move.
- Embryogenesis : The formation of an organism, starting with its first cell division.
- Abortion : The deliberate expulsion of an embryo or foetus from the womb for the purpose of ending a pregnancy.
- Blastula : Add brief definition or description
- Gastrula : Add brief definition or description
- Neurula : Add brief definition or description
- Stem cell : Describes cells that have the potential to differentiate to new cell types; usually encompasses totipotent, pluripotent and multipotent cells.
- Brain development : The build-up of the brain from ectodermal cells to a complex structure of neurons, glia and blood vessels.
- Cryopreservation : A process where cells or whole tissues are preserved by cooling to low sub-zero temperatures.
- Evolution : A change over time in the proportions of individual organisms differing genetically.
- Fertilization : Add brief definition or description
- Fetus : Add brief definition or description
- Gene expression : Add brief definition or description
- Neuronal migration : The process by which nerve cells travel from the place of their last cell division to their final position in the brain.
- Oocyte : Add brief definition or description
- Sperm : Add brief definition or description