From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- Biology : The science of life — of complex, self-organizing, information-processing systems living in the past, present or future.
- Chemistry : The science of matter, or of the electrical or electrostatical interactions of matter.
- Engineering : The profession in which a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences gained by study, experience and practice is applied with judgment to develop ways to economically use the materials and forces of nature for the benefit of mankind.
- Chemical engineering : The field of engineering that deals with industrial and natural processes involving the chemical, physical or biological transformation of matter or energy into forms useful for mankind, economically and safely without compromising the environment
- Environmental engineering : A field of engineering devoted to remediation of all forms of pollution.
- Fischer-Tropsch synthesis : Add brief definition or description
- Gasification : Add brief definition or description
- Gas to liquids : Add brief definition or description
- Renewable energy : Energy derived from natural processes that are regularly replenished and includes solar power, wind power, hydroelectric power, geothermal energy, bioenergy, and biofuels.
- Biodiesel : A substitute for petroleum-based diesel, made from biological products
- Biofuel : Liquid and gaseous fuels which are in some way derived from biomass.
- Carbon : Fourth most abundant chemical element in the Universe, with atomic number Z=6.
- Coal gasification : Add brief definition or description
- Diesel oil : An oil derived from petroleum crude oil consisting of hydrocarbons having about 10 to 17 carbon atoms and a boiling range of about 175 to 345 °C (350 to 650 °F).
- Ethanol : The chemical alcohol (C2H5OH) found in distilled spirits, wine and beer.
- Fossil fuel : Fossil fuels are substances having a high percentage of carbon and hydrocarbons that were formed by the decay of biomass and other dead organisms over a time period of millions of years, the most common being coal, natural gas, fuel oil and various hydrocarbon gases and liquids derived from natural gas and petroleum crude oil.
- Fossil fuel reforming : Add brief definition or description
- Hydrocarbon : Add brief definition or description
- Steam-methane reforming : Add brief definition or description
- Syngas : Add brief definition or description
- Synthetic natural gas : Add brief definition or description