User talk:Nigel Plant
Welcome to the Citizendium! We hope you will contribute boldly and well. Here are pointers for a quick start. You'll probably want to know how to get started as an author. Just look at CZ:Getting Started for other helpful "startup" links, and CZ:Home for the top menu of community pages. Be sure to stay abreast of events via the Citizendium-L (broadcast) mailing list (do join!) and the blog. Please also join the workgroup mailing list(s) that concern your particular interests. You can test out editing in the sandbox if you'd like. If you need help to get going, the forums is one option. That's also where we discuss policy and proposals. You can ask any constable for help, too. Me, for instance! Just put a note on their "talk" page. Again, welcome and have fun! David E. Volk 13:45, 16 January 2010 (UTC)
Some ideas for contributions
Hi Nigel, welcome aboard CZ. David has already given you some hints as to how things work here in general, and I wish to add some more practical suggestions on what possibilities you have to contribute. For a start, I just took some of the keywords from the information you supplied upon registration, and display below the current state of related CZ articles (for icon documentation, see Template:Rpl/Doc):
- Accounting: The process of recording transactions within a business, almost always the double-entry method today.
- Audit: Add brief definition or description
- Ecology: The study of the distribution and abundance of organisms and how they are affected by the environment.
- Economy: (i) A complex interactive system that is engaged in the production and distribution of goods and services.; (ii) the careful use of money or other resources.
- Life: Living systems, of which biologists seek the commonalities distinguishing them from nonliving systems.
- Lifestyle: Add brief definition or description
- Ecological footprint: The sum of all resource-using or waste-producing activities of a biological unit, if converted to units of biologically productive land.
- Carbon footprint: Add brief definition or description
- Climate: The overall weather pattern for an extended period for any defined geographical location which may be over any size of area up to and including the entire Earth.
- Global warming: The increase in the average temperature of the Earth's near-surface air and oceans in recent decades and its projected continuation.
- Hobby: Pastime, avocation, para-profession or part time occupation.
- Weekend: Add brief definition or description
- Spare time: Add brief definition or description
- Fun: Someone or something that provides amusement, enjoyment or pleasure.
- Sports: An activity that involves skill and physical exertion, and is governed by a generally accepted set of rules and guidelines.
- Running: Add brief definition or description
- Football: Any of a number of team sports which involve kicking and/or handling a ball with the purpose of territorial gain leading to the scoring of goals or points.
- Soccer: Add brief definition or description
- Baseball: A ball game, using a small spherical ball and a striker called a bat, played between two teams of 9 players each on a field with a diamond shaped circuit consisting of 4 bases.
- Rugby: Please do not use this term in your topic list, because there is no single article for it. Please substitute a more precise term. See Rugby (disambiguation) for a list of available, more precise, topics. Please add a new usage if needed.
- Reading: Process of understanding and gaining knowledge from written text.
- Writing: The process of recording thoughts or speech in a visually or haptically retrievable manner.
- Education: Learning and teaching activities for the purpose of acquiring knowledge, skills or social norms.
- Horror: Genre of storytelling which plays on the audience's emotions, particularly fear, terror and disgust.
- Movie: Add brief definition or description
- Horror movie: Add brief definition or description
- Music: The art of structuring time by combining sound and silence into rhythm, harmonies and melodies.
- Walking: Add brief definition or description
- Hiking: Add brief definition or description
- United Kingdom: Constitutional monarchy which includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Europe: Sixth largest continent; area 10,000,000 km2; pop. 720,000,000
- Pyrenees: A mountain range of southwest Europe extending along the French-Spanish border from the Bay of Biscay to the Mediterranean Sea.
Furthermore, in case you are involved in homework assignments, please consider doing so via Eduzendium articles.
Finally, you can help future newcomers by giving your feedback on the above suggestions. To do so, please leave a note on my talk page.
Looking forward to fruitful collaborative editing, --Daniel Mietchen 14:24, 16 January 2010 (UTC)