User talk:Gary Giamboi
Hi Gary, There's a great article over at Aikido. The author thinks (as do I) its ready to start moving through the approval process. Could you take a look and see what you think? Thanks. -- Sarah Tuttle 15:07, 25 March 2007 (CDT)
Welcome to the Citizendium! We hope you will contribute boldly and well. Here are pointers for a quick start. You'll probably want to know how to get started as an author. Just look at Getting Started for other helpful "startup" links, our help system and CZ:Home for the top menu of community pages. Be sure to stay abreast of events via Twitter. You can test out editing in the sandbox if you'd like. If you need help to get going, the forum is one option. That's also where we discuss policy and proposals. You can ask any administrator for help, too. Just put a note on their "talk" page. Again, welcome and have fun! Robert Tito 20:21, 29 January 2007 (CST)
I Liq Chuan
Hi Gary, I deleted I Liq Chuan because it was largely a copyright violation from http://www.iliqchuan.org/. Please be more critical and careful about you import from Wikipedia, and also be certain to check the "Content is from WP?" in each and every instance where it is true. When you import it again from WP, make sure you compare the content with http://www.iliqchuan.org/ and ensure all material is either attributed as quotes or paraphrased. Thanks for your efforts! - Stephen Ewen 02:52, 27 March 2007 (CDT)
Okay Gary. Since we have no standard policy posted - YET - on how to deal with this matter, here is what you need to do if you want to post copyrighted text into a CZ article. Create the page I Liq Chuan/Permission and post written signed permission into it. A document image bearing the person's signature who is able to release the copyright would be best. As soon as you create this page, notify me and I will protect it from further editing, and then restore I Liq Chuan and notify you. Then, you need to place a link to I Liq Chuan/Permission at the bottom of I Liq Chuan. Also, if you can assure us you wrote **100%** of the rest of the material appearing in the WP article that also appears in the CZ article, then and only then is when you need not check the WP checkbox. If that is so, then you need to make a note on the article's talk page stating so, and place <!-- This notice must stay at the top of this page at all times. Place all replies below it and ensure this message is replaced after talk archiving --> below it. I apologize that we do not have a standard policy in place for any of this yet and we are having to do this ad hoc for now. But this should solve the issue. Stephen Ewen 23:44, 27 March 2007 (CDT)
Nice to meet you !
Hi Gary, I've just seen your message in the editcouncil list. It is nice to read your bio. Talk to you soon, I hope. Jérôme Delacroix 18:14, 21 April 2007
Gary, as you know, Aikido was up for approval- as per your nomination. The Assistant Chief Constable ran a "web check" and found that it was nearly identical to prose on a private website. He deleted the article, and I backed the action. That's all documented as it happened on the Approvals talk page. . Meanwhile he contacted the author, and has obtained verification that the author owns the copyright to that text, and has generously allowed its use on CZ. He has (or is in the process) restored the article. Would you like the approval template back on? Please let me know on my talk page, If you would like me to help in any way with putting up the template. If you let me know when you would like to see the article approved (date) I will feature it on the Approvals page.. I apologize for all the grief this has caused everybody, but I am glad that everybody cares so much. That's so much better than the alternative. Meanwhile- I am going to put a coy of this message on the Approvals talk page, so the continuing story is evident. Trying my best, as we all are- Nancy Sculerati 13:21, 27 April 2007 (CDT)
- Hi Gary, this is Russell Potter here, Nancy asked me to lend a hand in placing the Approval nomination template. What I would need to know from you is:
- a) Exact version (date of revision) of the version you wish to nominate
- b) Your view of how many days should be allowed for the approval process -- generally we need at least 1, perhaps in this case not many more as it has already had some vetting?
- Let me know the above, and I can place the Nomination tage on Aikido's Talk page.
Sorry for not explaining it before placing the tag. I tagged it for deletion because it is explicitly a "test article", and I thought it's inappropriate to "test" pages on mainspace because people may mistakenly think it is a true encyclopedic article. The right venue to "test" stuff is in CZ:Sandbox, regards. Yi Zhe Wu 22:50, 24 June 2007 (CDT)
- Also, if you want to write an article on Ninpo, start a title like Ninpo instead a "test article". Yi Zhe Wu 22:56, 24 June 2007 (CDT)
Gary, I moved it to Ninpo and tidied a few things in it. The best place to draft articles is article space, where people can collaborate with you. That's the point of a wiki! ---Stephen Ewen 02:22, 25 June 2007 (CDT)
Yes, Gary, CDT is for Central Daylight Time because Larry is in Ohio and that is where CZ is centered. I am on EDT, but I changed the Date and Time in my preferences so that I could keep track of the times without having to add and subtract time in my head all the time! --Matt Innis (Talk) 17:30, 30 June 2007 (CDT)
Being an Editor
Hi Gary: I can't quite get my mind around the Author/Editor thing. I sent the required materials to the e mail address for Editing, but have received no reply? Am I missing something? Can you help? Thanks! --Michael J. Formica 10:54, 6 November 2007 (CST)
- Hey, Gary... Thanks for following up. I got the answer...a backlog! Keep up the great work. Maybe we can work together on the MA project. I've started re-writing the MA article, but it is such a HUGE content area... Blessings... --Michael J. Formica 07:13, 12 November 2007 (CST)
Hey Gary...you'll see that I toned down some of the language in your edits. We want to keep it real, but also be family-friendly...talking about killing is correct for practitioners at our level, but not John Q. Public.
Also, I moved the Combat Sports section to the Content Sandbox on the Talk page. I think this should be a separate article. The problem witht he MA article at WP is it is just cumbersome. From the standpoint of academic parsimony, I would rather see a web of articles, rather than all content in one place.
As for the list on that MA page...should we keep it to the majors, and put minors somewhere else. Like Lama Pai is a modern style, is it not? I seem to recall the guy who developed it having his main Kwan in NYC, and being Occidental. I included Kallarippayattu only becuase of its clear, and documentable influnece on Shaolin. Your thoughts would be appreciated...
Blessings... --Michael J. Formica 14:13, 12 November 2007 (CST)
- Hi Gary...I agree. I was thinkning less of authentic presentation, and more of CZ strictures about being family-friendly. I'd be happy to find language that meets both standards.
- I didn't delete the part on mating rights...I deleted an unsourced statement. I'd be more than happy to include it, if we can source it. Have you noticed that nothing out here has references? Pretty sad for the 'worlds' most trusted knowledge base', no? :)
- The science piece, again, unsourced...we can get it back, I'm just looking to find references.
- Finally, I was trying to parse the countries of origin down to a reasonable standard. Maybe we can develop a scheme for presentation that doesn't put everything on one page. Again, I'd be eager for your input, and cooperative problem solving. Blessings... --Michael J. Formica 15:11, 12 November 2007 (CST)
Possible article for approval
The article on Joe Louis was recently added to the list of articles that are ready for approval, or nearly so. As the most active editor in the Sports Workgroup, I thought you might be interested in being the approving editor. If you have any questions, let me know or feel free to contact one of the constables. Thanks! --Joe Quick 21:42, 7 January 2008 (CST)
- Perfect! I just removed the brackets around your name because the template is set up to do that part for you.
- Thanks for responding so quickly. I'm trying to jumpstart the rate of approvals and trying to get the community accustomed to seeing lots of approvals so that we begin to give off an air of professionalism that will attract more editors to the project.
- By the way, Sailing, which is also in the Sports Workgroup, has also been nominated for approval. There is some ongoing discussion of a couple of sections in that article, so it will probably take slightly longer to be officially approved, but it is written well enough that I think it will get there in relatively short order. --Joe Quick 16:05, 8 January 2008 (CST)
Finding alternative names
Redirects don't seem to help with searches, even if you check the 'List redirects' box on the search page. (See, for instance, this search for "9/11".) However, if the variants are mentioned in the text of the page, they are found easily. J. Noel Chiappa 15:48, 22 May 2008 (CDT)