- Migration (demography) : The field of demography that studies the causes, patterns, and consequences of large-scale permanent change in residence.
- Human rights : Natural civil and political rights considered universal and applicable to all human beings worldwide.
- Internally displaced person : A person who has fled from their home but remains inside the borders of his or her home country; the reason for flight might be armed conflict, human rights violations or economic hardship
- Failed state : A nation or quasi-nation unable to deliver minimal governance services to its citizens; there may not even be a functioning government
- Weak state : A nation whose government or institutions are unable, or unwilling, to provide a significant set of essential public services, including just and legitimate government, physical security, food and health, and minimal economic development; contrast with failed state, which provides essentially none