Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to Nephrology, or pages that link to Nephrology or to this page or whose text .
- Human physiology : Science of the workings of the human body and its component parts, at many levels and modes of scientific investigation and at many levels in the heirarchy of the human body’s complex and changing organization.
- Human anatomy : The study of shapes and structures of and within the human body.
- Medicine : The study of health and disease of the human body.
- Kidney : Organs in the dorsal region of the vertebrate abdominal cavity, functioning to maintain proper water and electrolyte balance, regulate acid-base concentration, and filter the blood of metabolic wastes, which are then excreted as urine.
- Renin-angiotensin system : A blood pressure regulating system of interacting components that include renin; angiotensinogen; angiotensin converting enzyme; angiotensin I; angiotensin II; and angiotensinase.
- Erythropoietin : A protein hormone produced by the kidneys in response to hypoxia; it is essential for normal development and maturation of red blood cells (RBC).
- Urine : Add brief definition or description
- Blood pressure : Pressure of the blood on the arteries and other blood vessels.
- Uremia : Illness accompanying kidney failure unexplained by derangements in extracellular volume, inorganic ion concentrations, or lack of known renal synthetic products.
- Creatinine clearance : A measure of kidney function in patients with chronic kidney disease.
- Glomerular filtration rate : Volume of water filtered out of the plasma through glomerular capillary walls into Bowman's capsules per unit of time.
- Blood electrolytes : Add brief definition or description
- Blood urea nitrogen : Add brief definition or description
- Urinalysis : Add brief definition or description
- Aldosterone antagonist : Compounds that inhibit or antagonize the biosynthesis or actions of aldosterone, which is part of the renin-angiotensin system.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor : Drugs mainly used to treat hypertension and heart failure, by hemodynamic effect inhibiting the renin-angiotensin system.
- Diuretic : Agents that promote the excretion of urine through their effects on kidney function.
- Hemodialysis : Add brief definition or description
- Peritoneal dialysis : Dialysis fluid being introduced into and removed from the peritoneal cavity as either a continuous or an intermittent procedure.
- Salt and health : Article describing health effects of salt (sodium chloride) in the diet, giving governments' recommendations for consumption.