- See also changes related to Fibromyalgia, or pages that link to Fibromyalgia or to this page or whose text .
- Chronic widespread pain : A class of syndromes that meet the diagnostic criterion of pain on both sides of the body, above and below the waist, and additional specific areas involving the chest or spine
- Comorbidity : The presence of co-existing or additional diseases with reference to an initial diagnosis or with reference to the index condition that is the subject of study
- Pain medicine : An interdisciplinary physician subspecialization, within the broad scope of pain management, which often involves team approaches with various physician and nonphysician specialties
- Pain : Unpleasant feeling or hurtful sensation that is conveyed to the brain by stimulation of sensory neurons.
- Rheumatology : Medical specialty that deals with the study, diagnosis, and treatment of connective tissue diseases; a subspecialty of internal medicine
- Neurology : The medical specialty concerned with evaluating the nervous system and the other system that it affects, and the treatment of nervous system disorders. (subhead neuromuscular medicine)
- Sleep medicine : Add brief definition or description
- Dolorimeter : Add brief definition or description
- Electromyography : Add brief definition or description
- Polysomnography : Add brief definition or description
- Trigger points : Add brief definition or description
Useful laboratory studies
- Antinuclear antibodies : Add brief definition or description
- Complete blood count : A basic set of counts and ratios of various blood cells, which can be both individually and jointly valuable in medical diagnosis
- Cryoglobulins : Add brief definition or description
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate : Add brief definition or description
- Rheumatoid factor : Add brief definition or description
- Serum protein electrophoresis : Add brief definition or description
- SS antigens : Add brief definition or description
- Thyroid panel : Add brief definition or description
Many of these can be comorbidities.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome : Syndrome characterized by persistent or recurrent fatigue, diffuse musculoskeletal pain, sleep disturbances, and subjective cognitive impairment of 6 months duration or longer.
- Chronic pain : Add brief definition or description
- Mood disorder : Those disorders that have a disturbance in mood as their predominant feature. (major depressive disorder)
- Hemochromatosis : Hereditary disorder affecting iron metabolism in which excessive amounts of iron accumulate in the body tissues, characterized by diabetes mellitus, liver dysfunction, and a bronze pigmentation of the skin.
- Hypothyroidism : Syndrome that results from abnormally low secretion of thyroid hormones from the thyroid gland, leading to a decrease in basal metabolic rate.
- Mixed connective tissue disorder : Add brief definition or description
- Polymyalgia rheumatica : A syndrome in the elderly characterized by proximal joint and muscle pain, high erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and a self-limiting course.
- Rheumatoid arthritis : A chronic, inflammatory autoimmune disorder that causes the immune system to attack the joints.
- Scleroderma : Add brief definition or description
- Sjogren's syndrome : Chronic inflammatory and autoimmune disease in which the salivary and lacrimal glands undergo progressive destruction by lymphocytes and plasma cells resulting in decreased production of saliva and tears. The primary form, often called sicca syndrome, involves both keratoconjunctivitis sicca and xerostomia. The secondary form includes, in addition, the presence of a connective tissue disease, usually rheumatoid arthritis.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus : Connective tissue disorder, that primarily affect women of childbearing age, have a variety of clinical forms, and are characterized by red scaly skin lesions.
- Antidepressants : Add brief definition or description
- Anticonvulsants : Add brief definition or description
- Clonidine : An "alpha-2 adrenergic agonist that crosses the blood-brain barrier.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy : A psychotherapeutic technique based on assisting the patient to learn the interpretation of (cognitive structure of experiences that trigger behavior, and, if that behavior is maladaptive, to change the response to the experience
- Capsaicin : Add brief definition or description
- Dextromethorphan : Add brief definition or description
- Tramadol : An atypical opioid analgesic useful for mild to moderate pain, with a potential for abuse
- Hypnotics : Add brief definition or description