- Latin America : The region of the Americas that shares a common tradition and historical heritage of European colonization, mostly Iberian.
- Mercosur : Add brief definition or description
- Southern Cone : The southernmost part of South America, always including Argentina, Chile and Uruguay; sometimes all or part of Brazil, as well as Bolivia and Peru.
- : A moist broadleaf forest in the Amazon Basin of South America.
- Brasília : The capital city of Brazil located in the Distrito Federal.
- Rio de Janeiro : The second largest city in Brazil, and the former capital of the country until 1960.
- War of the Triple Alliance : Bloodiest South American war pitting Paraguay against alliance of Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay (1864-1870).
- Operation Condor : A secret security operation among the military governments of Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay, beginning in 1975 and ending with democratization in the 1980s and 1990s; descriptions range from counterintelligence and counterterrorism to state terror
- Portugal : South-west European republic (population c. 10.7 million; capital Lisbon) on the western side of the Iberian Peninsula, with a long Atlantic coastline to its west and bordering Spain to the north and east.
- Portuguese language : An Iberian Romance language, of the Indo-European family.