From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
Auto-populated based on Special:WhatLinksHere/Latvia. Needs checking by a human.
- Belarus : A landlocked country in Eastern Europe.
- Chess : Board game for two players played on a checkered board requiring skill, strategy and intellect.
- Commonwealth of Independent States : Regional organization, founded in 1991 by Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine, whose participating countries are former Soviet Republics.
- Communism : A political ideology, and also a system of government, according to which the means of production (including all large business concerns) should be controlled by the government.
- Country : Nation, state, region, or territory, or large tract of land distinguishable by features of topography, biology, or culture.
- Estonia : Baltic republic (population c. 1.3 million; capital Tallinn) bordered by Latvia to the south and the Russian Federation to the east; it includes more than 1500 islands, and its people are more closely related to the Finns than those of the other Baltic states, Latvia and Lithuania.
- European Union : Political and economic association of 28 European states.
- Europe : Sixth largest continent; area 10,000,000 km2; pop. 720,000,000
- Euro : The official currency of the European Monetary Union.
- Isabelle Y. Liberman : (1921 - 1990) An American psychologist, born in Latvia, who was an expert on reading disabilities, including dyslexia.
- Jacob Pavlovich Adler : International star of Yiddish theater in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
- Lacrosse : Team sport played outdoors by ten players (men) or twelve players (women), each of whom uses a netted stick (the crosse) in order to pass and catch a very hard rubber ball with the aim of scoring goals by propelling the ball into the opponent's goal.
- Lithuania : Former Soviet republic (population c. 3.6 million; capital Vilnius) bordered by Latvia, Belorussia, Poland and the Russian Federation, and with a short coastline on the Baltic Sea.
- Livonian language : Add brief definition or description
- Radio Caroline : Name of several broadcasting ventures situated in several countries and from ships in territorial or international waters, of which the first off Essex is most famous.
- Russian language : Widely-used member of the Slavic languages, written in the Cyrillic alphabet and spoken across Eurasia.
- Russia : A country in northern Eurasia, with an area of 17 million km², currently the largest on our planet.
- Soviet Union : A Communist state, which took over the Russian Empire, after the Russian Revolution of 1917 that existed from 1922 to 1991; the major part now extant as the Russian Federation
- Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology : Add brief definition or description
- Wannsee Conference : Nazi meeting in January 1942 to plan the killing of 11 million Jews of Europe, now known as the Holocaust.