Baltic Sea/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Baltic Sea, or pages that link to Baltic Sea or to this page or whose text .
- Europe : Sixth largest continent; area 10,000,000 km2; pop. 720,000,000
- Northern Europe : Add brief definition or description
- Sea : Add brief definition or description
- Scandinavian Peninsula : Add brief definition or description
- Gulf of Bothnia : Add brief definition or description
- Gulf of Finland : Add brief definition or description
- Gulf of Riga : Add brief definition or description
- Gulf of Gdansk : Add brief definition or description
- Aland Islands : Add brief definition or description
- Kattegat : Add brief definition or description
- Danish straits : Add brief definition or description
- Denmark : Constitutional monarchy and multiparty democracy (population c. 5.5 million; capital Copenhagen); the most southerly Scandinavian nation, comprising the Jutland Peninsula, the islands of Sjaelland, Fyn, Lolland and Falster, and more than 400 smaller islands.
- Sweden : Constitutional monarchy (population c. 9 million; capital Stockholm) situated on the Scandinavian Peninsula, between Norway and Finland; has a long eastern coastline on the Baltic Sea and the Gulf of Bothnia.
- Finland : Scandinavian republic (population c. 5.2 million; capital Helsinki) bordered by Norway and Sweden to the north and west and the Russian Federation to the east; a low-lying country of forests and almost 188,000 lakes.
- Russia : A country in northern Eurasia, with an area of 17 million km², currently the largest on our planet.
- Estonia : Baltic republic (population c. 1.3 million; capital Tallinn) bordered by Latvia to the south and the Russian Federation to the east; it includes more than 1500 islands, and its people are more closely related to the Finns than those of the other Baltic states, Latvia and Lithuania.
- Latvia : Small republic (population c. 2.3 million; capital Riga) on the eastern coast of the Baltic Sea; lies between Estonia and Lithuania, with Russian Federation and Belorussia to the east.
- Lithuania : Former Soviet republic (population c. 3.6 million; capital Vilnius) bordered by Latvia, Belorussia, Poland and the Russian Federation, and with a short coastline on the Baltic Sea.
- Poland : Central European republic (population c. 38.5 million; capital Warsaw) extending from the Baltic Sea in the north to the Tatry Mountains on its southern borders with the Czech Republic and Slovakia; also borders Germany to the west, the Russian Federation and Lithuania to the north-east, and Belorussia and Ukraine to the east.
- Germany : Federal republic in central Europe (population c. 82.4 million; capital Berlin), with the North Sea, Denmark and the Baltic Sea to the north; Poland and the Czech Republic to the east; Switzerland and Austria to the south; and France, Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands to the west; founding member of the European Union.
Cities and ports
- Saint Petersburg : Add brief definition or description
- Stockholm : Capital of Sweden.
- Riga : Add brief definition or description
- Helsinki : Add brief definition or description
- Copenhagen : Capital and largest city of Denmark.