From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Kiribati, or pages that link to Kiribati or to this page or whose text .
- Geography : Study of the surface of the Earth and the activities of humanity upon it.
- Republic : A form of government in which political power and authority is derived from the citizenry, and not from a monarch, whether hereditary or "tyrannical" (ie, a dictator).
- Island : Land mass, especially one smaller than a continent, entirely surrounded by water.
- Pacific Ocean : the largest single mass of water in the world, lying between Asia and Australia on its west, and North America and South America on its east.
- Micronesia : Region of Oceania in the western Pacific Ocean, comprising thousands of tropical islands shared between five states and three U.S. territories.
- Polynesia : Add brief definition or description
- Melanesia : Add brief definition or description
- Thomas Gilbert : Add brief definition or description
- British Empire : The worldwide domain controlled by Britain from its origins about 1600
- Louis Duperrey : Add brief definition or description
- British Western Pacific Territories : Add brief definition or description
- Arthur Grimble : Add brief definition or description
- Battle of Tarawa : Fought in November 1943, a U.S. Marine Corps force made an amphibious attack in the Tarawa atoll of the Gilbert Islands, principally against the island of Betio; it was an American victory but with very high casualties, and a significant part of a distinct strategic offense
- Battle of Makin : Add brief definition or description
- Tuvalu : Sovereign state consisting of six coral atolls and three islands in the South Pacific; Nanumea, Nanumanga, Niutao, Nui, Vaitupu, Nukufetau, Funafuti, Nukulaelae, and Niulakita.
- Ieremia Tabai : Add brief definition or description
- Treaty of Tarawa : Add brief definition or description
- United States of America : Constitutional republic in North America, has major land borders with Mexico and Canada.
- Japan : East Asian country of about 3,000 islands; one of the world's largest economies; population about 125,000,000.
- Fiji : Island republic, spanning an archipelago of two main islands and many minor islets in the Pacific Ocean.
- Amelia Earhart : Add brief definition or description