British Empire/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to British Empire, or pages that link to British Empire or to this page or whose text .
See the index to the politics articles .
- Commonwealth of Nations : An international organisation that evolved out of the British Empire.
- Britain, history : An account of some of the happenings that have contributed to the creation of the country that is now known as the United Kingdom, or informally, Britain.
- United Kingdom : Constitutional monarchy which includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Great Britain : The largest part of the United Kingdom, comprising England, Scotland, Wales and islands immediately off their coasts.
- Anglo-Irish Treaty : Treaty between the Irish rebel government and the United Kingdom which established the Irish Free State, and played the greatest role in igniting the Irish Civil War.
- Australia : Continent in the Southern Hemisphere and the federal parliamentary nation that occupies it.
- Canada : The world's second-largest country by total area, occupying most of northern North America; officially a bilingual nation, in English and French (population approx. 27 million).
- Cyprus : Contested eastern Mediterranean island republic (population c. 793,000; capital Nicosia (Lefkosia)), divided between Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC, recognised only by Turkey) in the north and Greek Cypriot Republic of Cyprus (Cyprus) in the south.
- Declaration of Independence : Document formally declaring the independence of the thirteen American colonies from Great Britain, July 4, 1776.
- Dominion : Term applied to the first members of the British Commonwealth to become independent.
- Egypt : A country in the northeastern corner of Africa, bordering Sudan, Libya, the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea
- India : Republic in South Asia; the world's largest democracy. Borders Bangladesh, Bhutan, Burma, China, Nepal, Pakistan
- Ireland (state) : Republic (population c. 4.2 million; capital Dublin) comprising about 85% of the Atlantic island of Ireland, west of Great Britain.
- Irish Free State : Dominion of the British Empire between 1922-1948. Formed following the ratification of the Anglo-Irish Treaty, ended with the declaration of the Republic of Ireland in 1948.
- Kenya : A country of 38 million in East Africa.
- Malta : An island republic (population c. 403,500; capital Valletta) lying in the Mediterranean Sea, midway between Europe and North Africa; of the four main islands of the Maltese Archipelago, Gozo, Malta and Kummuna are inhabited and Filfla is not.
- Ulster : The northernmost of the four provinces of Ireland.
- Union of South Africa : A dominion of the British Empire, 1910-1961