Biotechnology and plant breeding/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Biotechnology and plant breeding, or pages that link to Biotechnology and plant breeding or to this page or whose text .
- Plant breeding : The purposeful manipulation of plant species in order to create desired genotypes and phenotypes for specific purposes, such as food production, forestry, and horticulture.
- Biotechnology : The application of biological principles in industrial production
- Genetic engineering : The process of manipulating genes, usually outside the organism's normal reproductive process.
- Transgenic plant : Plants that have been genetically modified by inserting genes directly into a single plant cell, from a different species.
- Horizontal gene transfer in plants : Any process in which an organism transfers genetic material (i.e. DNA) to another cell that is not its cellular offspring, as distinct from vertical gene transfer where genes are inherited from parents or ancestors in a lineage of cellular organisms.
- Cisgenic plants : Process that inhibits the flow of genetic information to protein synthesis.