From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Antibiotic, or pages that link to Antibiotic or to this page or whose text .
- Medication : A licensed drug taken to cure or reduce symptoms of an illness or medical condition.
- Antibiotic resistance : The development of resistance to an antibiotic in an organism originally susceptible to it
- Penicillin : A class of antibiotic drugs that have a common β-lactam core structure.
- Cephalosporin : Class of antibiotic compounds sharing a common -lactam structure, 7-aminocephalosporanic acid.
- Lactam : A cyclic amide chemical compound. Important component of many antibiotics.
- Quinolone : Family of synthetically produced broad-spectrum antibiotics.
- Tetracycline : Both a class of naphthacene antibiotics, and a specific member of the class, which inhibit amino alkyl transfer RNA binding during protein synthesis
- Aminoglycoside : Antibiotics class that contain an amino sugar and amino- or guanido-substituted inositol rings attached to hexose.
- Macrolide : Add brief definition or description
- Ketolide : Add brief definition or description
- Sulfonamide : An amide of a sulfonic acid, with chemical equation R-SO2-NR2.
- Oxazolidinone : A cyclic chemical structure central to many drugs, particularly to many antibiotics.