Red Army/Related Articles
< Red Army
- See also changes related to Red Army, or pages that link to Red Army or to this page or whose text .
- Soviet Union : A Communist state, which took over the Russian Empire, after the Russian Revolution of 1917 that existed from 1922 to 1991; the major part now extant as the Russian Federation
- Main Intelligence Administration of the General Staff : More commonly known by the initials of its Romanized Russian name,Glavnoye Razvedovatel'noye Upravlenie (GRU), the national military organization of both the Soviet Union and Russian Federation, roughly comparable in mission (but not methods) to the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency
WWII and prewar
- Joseph Stalin : (1878 - 1953) The head of Russia's Communist ("Bolshevik") party and dictator of the Soviet Union from 1924 until his death.
- Semyon Budenny : An Old Bolshevik cavalry general and favorite of Joseph Stalin who rose to Marshal's rank, but was described as a man with "a very large mustache and a very small brain"
- Mikhail Tukhachevsky : Marshal of the Soviet Union and armored warfare theorist, purged and shot by Stalin for treason, which may have been suggested by German disinformation
- Georgi Zhukov : Add brief definition or description
- Andrey Andreyevich Vlasov : Leader of the Russian Liberation Movement, Soviet soldiers supporting Germany during World War II.
- Operation Barbarossa : The German invasion of the Soviet Union, beginning on June 22, 1941
- Siege of Stalingrad : Add brief definition or description
- Siege of Leningrad : Add brief definition or description
- Battle of Kursk : Add brief definition or description
- Cold War : Geostrategic, economic and ideological struggle from about 1947 to 1991 between the Soviet Union and the United States and their allies.
- Afghanistan War (1978-92) : A civil war in Afghanistan that matched the Soviet Union and its Afghan allies against a coalition of anti-Communist groups called the mujahideen, supported from the outside by the United States, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia.
- Soviet support for Iran during the Iran-Iraq War : Soviet efforts to maintain a positive relationship during and after the Iran-Iraq War; they regarded Iran as more strategically important than Iraq
- Operational Maneuver Group : A Soviet-originated idea in operational art, consisting of a mobile force that penetrates enemy lines and disrupts the rear area, either exhausting itself or defeating all
- Maskirovka : A very broad Soviet/Russian military theoretical concept, encompassing what the West regards as camouflage, or deception, concealment and counterintelligence, but going to a conscious plan of convincing the opponent to believe what one wants him to believe
- Organs of State Security : A generic term for Soviet intelligence and internal security organizations, from the Cheka to the KGB; traditionally a third of the power balance among the Communist Party of the Soviet Union and the Red Army; term continues in Russian usage with the FSB
- Committee for State Security : Usually known as the KGB, one of Organs of State Security of the Soviet Union, with extensive responsibilities in intelligence (information gathering), border security, counterintelligence and suppression of dissent; split up in the Russian Federation with counterintelligence in the FSB and foreign intelligence in the SVR
- Russian Liberation Movement : Add brief definition or description