- Linguistics : The scientific study of language.
- Phonology : In linguistics, the study of the system used to represent language, including sounds in spoken language and hand movements in sign language.
- Phonological feature : Add brief definition or description
- The Sound Pattern of English : A landmark work on the rules of English phonology by Noam Chomsky and Morris Halle, which importantly rejected the phoneme as a true phonological unit; subsequently built upon by other analyses that recognised the syllable and other units of prosodic organisation.
- Noam Chomsky : American linguist, MIT professor and left-wing political activist.
- Morris Halle : Add brief definition or description