McGuffey Readers/Related Articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to McGuffey Readers, or pages that link to McGuffey Readers or to this page or whose text .
- Education : Learning, teaching, research and scholarship activities for the purpose of organizing, presenting and acquiring knowledge, skills or social norms.
- William Holmes McGuffey : (1800-1873) U.S. educator, best known for his work in connection with his series of elementary readers which were the standard texts for the instruction of reading and writing in American schools for nearly three quarters of a century.
- New England Primer : Textbook, first published 1690, which formed the backbone of education instruction in colonial America for over a century.
- Ray's Arithmetic : Add brief definition or description
- Phonics : Method of teaching reading and writing by associating sounds with letters or letter groups in an alphabetic language.
- Word method : Add brief definition or description
- Alphabet method : Add brief definition or description
- Word-rote method : Add brief definition or description
- Harvey's Grammar : Add brief definition or description
- Spencerian penmanship : A system of cursive, handwritten script in widespread use in schools and elsewhere in the late 19th century in the United States.
- John Dewey : (1859-1952) U.S. philosopher and educational theorist known as one of the founders of the philosophical school of pragmatism and as the leading exponent of Progressive educational theories.
- Horace Mann : (1796-1859) American educator, considered to be the father of the American public school system.
- John Russell Webb : Add brief definition or description
- Noah Webster : (1758-1843) US lexicographer who compiled the American Dictionary of the English Language and wrote a widely used Speller for use in schools in the teaching of reading and writing.
- Webster's Elementary Spelling Book : Add brief definition or description