- Military rank : The basic means of establishing the relative authority and status of personnel in a military organization
- Admiral : The highest rank in a navy, or the name of the group of "flag officer" grades (e.g., vice admiral)
- Army : Either the largest type of formation for a land-based military force, or the entirety of a nation's military force responsible for its land defenses.
- Lieutenant general : A senior military rank in ground or air forces, leading a corps-size organization, occupying a major staff leadership role, or, in some countries, commanding the entire military
- Major general : A senior military rank, in the middle to bottom range the top of the "general officer " system that divides officers into junior, field, and general/flag.
- Brigadier general : A title with variants, or not used at all, by various countries; its authority falls between colonel and a country-specific general grade, most commonly major general