Delta Force/Related Articles
- See also changes related to Delta Force, or pages that link to Delta Force or to this page or whose text .
- Special operations : Military or paramilitary operations that differ from conventional operations in degree of physical and political risk, operational techniques, mode of employment, independence from friendly support, and dependence on detailed operational intelligence and indigenous assets; they are often controlled at a national or strategic level of command
- Direct action (military) : Military attacks, usually by special operations forces on land, against specific, well-defined targets, often behind enemy lines.
- Counterterrorism : A range of activities that prevent attempted terrorism well before an actual act is close to being executed, including killing or capturing terrorists; complements and can include anti-terrorism, or measures taken to minimize the impact of an attempted or completed act; counterterrorism proper is "enemy centric" rather than counterinsurgency, which is "people-centric"
- United States Special Operations Command : A U.S. Unified Combatant Command with both functional and operational responsibilities, both to prepare special operations forces for the geographic commands, and to execute strategic special operations, typically under national orders and high security classification
- Joint Special Operations Command : A major subordinate unit of the United States Special Operations Command, which takes on the most sensitive covert military operations, usually working unacknowledged within the geographic area of a Unified Combatant Command
- Army Special Operations Command : A command that trains and prepares U.S. Army special operations personnel, including United States Army Special Forces, and serves as the land forces component of United States Special Operations Command
- Charles Beckwith : Retired colonel in the U.S. Army, who founded Delta Force and was the ground commander in the Iranian embassy hostage rescue attempt
- Special Air Service : Special operations regular and Territorial Army regiments of the British Army, part of U.K. Special Forces
- Edward Meyer : Nicknamed, "Shy"; General, United States Army, retired; former Chief of Staff of the Army; Military Senior Advisor Panel, Iraq Study Group
- Operation EAGLE CLAW : A failed U.S. military hostage rescue operation, in April 1980, intended to recover the hostages taken at the U.S. embassy in Tehran in 1979
- Operation ACID GAMBIT : During Operation JUST CAUSE in Panama, the first full Delta Force mission, to rescue a U.S. Central Intelligence Agency asset, Kurt Muse
- Operation GOTHIC SERPENT : During United Nations operations in Somalia, a U.S. raid to capture members of Mohammed Aideed's faction; helicopters were shot down leading to the incident described in Black Hawk Down \
- Afghanistan War (2001-), major combat phase : During the Afghanistan War (2001-), the period of combat by Afghan ground forces, with U.S. and British air & special operations support, which drove the Taliban and al-Qaeda from their bases, in October through December 2001
- Dell Dailey : Currently Counterterrorism Coordinator for the U.S. Department of State, a retired U.S. Army lieutenant general whose career was spent in special operations
- John Mulholland : Since 2008, a lieutenant general commanding U.S. Army Special Forces; he commanded the 5th Special Forces Group in combat in the Afghanistan War (2001-) and Iraq War
- Iraq War, theater operational planning : Detailed invasion planning for the Iraq War by United States Central Command, once the policy decision had been made to prepare for war
- MACV-SOG : The U.S. organization responsible for covert operations against the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, as well as related cross-border operations from South Vietnam into Laos and Cambodia during the Vietnam War; the abbreviation had an unclassified cover meaning, but was actually the Military Assistance Command, Vietnam Special Operations Group
- United States Navy SEAL : [under]sea-air-land special operations organization of the United States Navy, specializing in direct action, special reconnaissance, combat search and rescue and counterterrorism