United States Marine Corps/Related Articles
- See also changes related to United States Marine Corps, or pages that link to United States Marine Corps or to this page or whose text .
- Amphibious warfare : The set of techniques, equipment, specialized units, and methods of training needed to move troops across water, and deliver them to land, ready for immediate combat.
- Naval infantry : Personnel assigned to naval ships, who are qualified to engage in combat using individual weapons, against enemy personnel on land or on ships that were boarded
- Department of the Navy (United States) : A civilian component of the U.S. Department of Defense, responsible for management of Naval and Marine policy and procurement
- Commandant of the Marine Corps : Senior uniformed officer of the United States Marine Corps and member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; responsible for doctrinal development, and preparing and training forces, for deployment to Unified Combatant Commands
- Commandant of the Marine Corps Official Reading List : Add brief definition or description
- AH-1 Cobra : The first purpose-built U.S. attack helicopter, introduced by the U.S. Army in the Vietnam War; the U.S. Marine Corps still operates a much-modified version
- AV-8 Harrier II : Add brief definition or description
- CH-46 : An aging medium helicopter that has been the main troop transport helicopter for the U.S. Marine Corps and a utility transport for the U.S. Navy
- CH-53 : Heavy transport helicopter used by the United States Marine Corps and Israel; MH-53 PAVE LOW special operations version used by United States Air Force
- F-18 Hornet : A relatively lightweight carrier-capable multirole fighter, developed by the United States Navy and used by several nations, including Canada, in land-based roles; a fourth-generation fighter gradually being replaced by the F-18E/F Super Hornet, and then the F-35.
- F-35B Lightning II : Short takeoff and vertical landing (STOVL) version of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, to be used on small carriers (i.e., without catapults and from minimal forward airfields
- V-22 Osprey : Military tilt-rotor aircraft capable of vertical takeoff as a rotary-wing helicopter, but faster horizontal flight using after converting its rotary-wing helicopter blades to propeller blades on a fixed-wing.
- Assault Amphibious Vehicle : Add brief definition or description
- Amphibious Ready Group : A group of amphibious warfare ships that can carry a U.S. Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) or U.K. Royal Marine Commando
- Amphibious Assault Ship : When used as a proper noun phrase, the largest class of amphibious warfare ship, able to operate large numbers of helicopters, and usually at least some types of landing craft; they look like aircraft carriers
- Combat loading : A method of loading cargo into ships that will carry it to amphibious landing sites, such that can be unloaded in a manner optimized to meet the operational needs of combat rather than maximizing the utilization of the ship's cargo space
- Landing Platform Dock : (LPD) Large amphibious warfare ships with both an internal dock that can be flooded to allow smaller landing craft to swim out, as well as a flight deck for helicopters and STOVL aircraft
- Landing Platform Helicopter : A medium-sized amphibious warfare ship that primarily uses helicopters to land troops; it does not have the well deck of a larger Landing Helicopter Dock
- Light Armored Vehicle-25 : Add brief definition or description
- Landing craft : A boat or other self-propelled watercraft, carried aboard a ship, intended for amphibious warfare or similar operations where landings at a prepared seaport are not practical. Such a craft may discharge troops or equipment on the beach, or may be capable of independent movement on land.
- Landing craft air cushion : Add brief definition or description
- M198 howitzer : Lightweight towed 155mm howitzer of the U.S. Marine Corps, being replaced by the M777
- M777 howitzer : British-developed, extremely lightweight towed 155mm howitzer, used by the U.S. Marine Corps in network-centric warfare with precision-guided munitions such as the M982 Excalibur guided shell
Organizations and doctrine
- Force Reconnaissance : United States Marine Corps troops with a special reconnaissance mission; either Marine Air-Ground Task Force headquarters-controlled or part of United States Special Operations Command
- Drill instructor : Add brief definition or description
- Vertical envelopment : Add brief definition or description
- Marine Air-Ground Task Force : The basic structure of United States Marine Corps combined arms, task-organized units
- Marine Special Operations Command : The Marine component of United States Special Operations Command, this unit absorbed the existing Marine special reconnaissance "Force Recon" companies (but not battalions), but also added a support organization, school, and a system of developing training teams for foreign internal defense and other special operations missions
- Tun Tavern : Add brief definition or description
- Marine Corps War Memorial : Add brief definition or description
- Foreign internal defense : The United States military doctrine for assisting Host Nations in their counterinsurgency programs
- Forward air controller : An individual or team, knowledgeable in both ground and air warfare, who coordinates close air support for a ground unit to which they are responsible
- Forward observer : An individual or team, specializing in artillery, who accompanies ground troops and directs indirect fire artillery in support of those ground troops
- Infantry Fighting Vehicle : Add brief definition or description
- Naval guns and gunnery : Artillery weapons on ships, and techniques and devices for aiming them.
- Royal Marines (U.K.) : Add brief definition or description
- United States Special Operations Command : A U.S. Unified Combatant Command with both functional and operational responsibilities, both to prepare special operations forces for the geographic commands, and to execute strategic special operations, typically under national orders and high security classification