Throughout history, many people - usually men - have grown beards. What follows is a list of notable people who have, had or have had beards at some point in their lives; it includes some fictional or mythical characters. False beards have also appeared in past ages and contemporary society - for example, Egyptian pharaohs were known to wear them - but these are beyond the scope of this article.
Science and nature
- David Bellamy : Add brief definition or description
- Charles Darwin : (1809 – 1882) English natural scientist, most famous for proposing the theory of natural selection.
- Sigmund Freud : (1856 – 1939) Pioneering psychiatrist who developed psychoanalysis.
- Claude Monet : A French painter who was one of the founders of Impressionism
- Vincent van Gogh : (1853-1890) Dutch post-impressionist painter of emotional works with intense color and patterned brushstrokes.
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad : (1956–) President of Iran since 6th August 2005.
- Che Guevara : Add brief definition or description
- Vladimir Lenin : Add brief definition or description
- Abraham Lincoln : (1809-65) Born in Illinois, President of the United States during the American Civil War.
- Karl Marx : 19th century philosopher and economist. Creator of a theoretical foundation for Communism.
- Salman Rushdie : Indian-born novelist and essayist, best-known for his 1988 novel The Satanic Verses (born 1947).
- Confucius : (551-479 BCE) was the essence of the ancient Chinese sage, a social philosopher, an educator, and the founder of the Ru School of Chinese thought.
- Jesus : Traveling preacher in first century CE, foundational figure in Christianity.
- David Koresh : Add brief definition or description
- Zeus : chief-god in the ancient Greek Mythology
- Osama bin Laden : Radical jihadist who, with Ayman al-Zawahiri, founded a group known as al-Qaeda, which is credited with a series of terrorist attacks.
- Harold Shipman : Add brief definition or description
- Jimmy Wales : (1966–) Internet entrepreneur and co-founder and head of Wikipedia, and co-founder of Wikia.
- Richard Attenborough : Add brief definition or description
- Brian Blessed : Add brief definition or description
- David Tennant : Scottish actor who from 2005 to 2010 was the tenth to take the lead role in the BBC science fiction series Doctor Who; also well-known for various stage and screen appearances (born 1971).
- Noel Edmonds : Add brief definition or description
- John Lennon : (born October 9, 1940; died December 8, 1980) Singer, songwriter, and rhythm guitarist for the Beatles.
- Steven Spielberg : Academy Award-winning American film producer and director known for his work across many genres.
- Dave Lee Travis : Add brief definition or description