- Blood : The body fluid that circulates in the vascular system (i.e., blood vessels). Whole blood includes plasma and blood cells.
- Erythropoiesis : Add brief definition or description
- Microcytic anemia : In medicine, the combination of an inadequate quantity of circulating hemoglobin, and a mean corpuscular volume of erythrocytes is below a threshold value
- Normocytic anemia : Add brief definition or description
- Macrocytic anemia : Add brief definition or description
- Hypochromic anemia : Add brief definition or description
- Normochromic anemia : Add brief definition or description
- Hyperchromic anemia : Add brief definition or description
Anemias of hemolysis and acute blood loss
- Anemia of acute blood loss : Add brief definition or description
- Hereditary spherocytosis : Chronic congenital disorder of the erythrocytopoietic system characterized by a preponderance of fragile spherical erythrocytes, and haemolytic anaemia.
- Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria : Add brief definition or description
- Anemia of chronic disease : Anemia associated with chronic illness such as chronic infection, immune activation, or malignancy.
- Anemia of renal disease : Add brief definition or description
- Aplastic anemia : Disorder in which the bone marrow greatly decreases or stops production of blood cells.
- Iron deficiency anemia : Anaemia resulting from a deficiency of iron, characterized by hypochromic microcytic erythrocytes and a normoblastic reaction of the bone marrow.
- Myleodysplastic syndrome : Add brief definition or description
- Pure red cell aplasia : Add brief definition or description
Disorders of hemoglobin
- Hemoglobinopathies : A group of inherited disorders characterized by structural alterations within the hemoglobin molecule.
- Sickle cell anemia : A disease characterized by chronic hemolytic anemia, episodic painful crises, and pathologic involvement of many organs. It is the clinical expression of homozygosity for hemoglobin S. National Library of Medicine
- Thalassemia : A group of hereditary hemolytic anemias in which there is decreased synthesis of one or more hemoglobin polypeptide chains (National Library of Medicine).
- Hemoglobin C disease : Add brief definition or description
- Megaloblast : An abnormally large (i.e., macrocytic) erythroblast; as with macrocytic erythrocytes, they are associated with folic acid or vitamin B12 deficiency or metabolic disorder
- Pernicious anemia : Add brief definition or description
- Malabsorption syndromes : Add brief definition or description
- Bone marrow : The soft tissue, inside the hollow cavities of bones, which produces blood cells
- Stem cell : Describes cells that have the potential to differentiate to new cell types; usually encompasses totipotent, pluripotent and multipotent cells.
- Hematopoesis : Add brief definition or description
- Blood cells : In blood, the cells suspended in plasma; the primary types being erythrocytes, leukocytes and platelets
- Erythrocyte : Blood cells that carry hemoglobin
- Leukocyte : Colourless cells of the immune system which defend the body against both infectious disease and foreign materials, and grouped into neutrophils, eosinophils, basophils, lymphocytes, and monocytes.
- Platelet : Cell fragments circulating in the blood.
- Complete blood count : A basic set of counts and ratios of various blood cells, which can be both individually and jointly valuable in medical diagnosis
- Hemoglobin : Iron-containing allosteric protein in erythrocytes of vertebrates, consisting of about 6 percent heme and 94 percent globin; also the clinical measurement of hemoglobin per volume of whole blood, varying with age and sex
- Hematocrit : After centrifugation, the percentage of packed blood cells in whole blood, primarily erythrocytes; also called packed cell volume (PCV)
- Red blood cell count : Add brief definition or description
- Erythrocyte indices : A set of three clinically useful parameters calculated from measurements of erythrocytes, usually reported with a complete blood count
- Mean corpuscular volume : The total volume enclosed by the average circulating erythrocyte (i.e., red blood cell)
- Mean corpuscular hemoglobin : Weight of hemoglobin per erythrocyte, measured in picograms
- Mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration : The amount of hemoglobin relative to the size of the erythrocyte, reported in grams per deciliter
- Human iron metabolism : Mechanisms of ingestion, distribution, use and excretion of iron by the human body, as well as an introduction to disorders of iron metabolism
- Serum iron : Add brief definition or description
- Total iron binding capacity : An indirect measurement of transferrin receptors present in blood; also a surrogate for iron available to the bone marrow
- Unsaturated iron binding capacity : Measurement performed on serum, in which a known quantity of iron is added, and, after a short wait, the amount of iron that did not bind to transferrin receptors is determined, the UIBC
- Ferritin : An intracellular protein-iron complex in which iron reserves are stored
- Transferrin : A protein that carries iron, absorbed in the gastrointestinal tracts, to the capillaies, and released into the bloodstream
- Myeloproliferative disease : Add brief definition or description