From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Thylakoid, or pages that link to Thylakoid or to this page or whose text .
- Chloroplast : The green organelles found in many higher plant cells and protists. Internal thylakoid membranes contain chlorophyll where photosynthesis takes place.
- Organelle : Specialized subunit within a cell that has a specific function, and is usually separately enclosed within its own lipid membrane, found in all eukaryotic cells.
- : (1850-1922), German botanist and cell biologist, described chloroplasts and the chlorophyll-rich thylakoid grana.
- : A stack of disks of thylakoid membranes in plant chloroplasts, where photosynthesis occurs.
- Lamellae : Extensions of thylakoid membranes of the grana inside eukaryotic chloroplasts, linking the grana and, by so doing, linking the thylakoid membrane lumens.
- Light-harvesting complex : The supercomplex of subunit proteins and pigments that gather light and direct the energy to the photosynthetic reaction centre in a photosystem.
- Photosynthetic reaction centre : Add brief definition or description
- Thylakoid lumen : Add brief definition or description
- Thylakoid membrane
- Photosystem II : A multi-subunit protein pigment complex embedded in thylakoid membranes, mediating the initial light harvesting and electron transfer steps in the light-dependent reactions of photosynthesis in plants, algae and cyanobacteria.
- Plastoquinone : Add brief definition or description
- Cytochrome b6f complex : Add brief definition or description
- Photosystem I : Add brief definition or description
- Ferredoxin : Add brief definition or description
- ATP synthase : Add brief definition or description
- : Chemical reactions that occur in the stroma of the chloroplast during photosynthesis and use the ATP and NADPH synthesized during the light-dependent reactions to fix carbon atoms from CO2.
- Photophosphorylation : Add brief definition or description
- Adenosine triphosphate : A molecule sometimes called the "energy currency" of a cell
- Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate : Add brief definition or description
- Photosynthetic pigment : Present in chloroplasts or photosynthetic bacteria and captures the light energy necessary for photosynthesis.
- : The matrix of a plastid that contains the enzymes for carbon fixation and the organelles DNA; thylakoid membranes are surrounded by this matrix.
- Photosynthesis : The process by which an organism captures and stores energy from sunlight, energy it uses to power its cellular activities.
- Chemiosmosis : Add brief definition or description
- Electrochemical gradient : Add brief definition or description
- Electron transport chain : (ETC) A series of biochemical reactions that couple a chemical reaction between an electron donor and an electron acceptor to the transfer of protons across a membrane.
- Photon : elementary particle with zero rest mass and unit spin associated with the electromagnetic field.