Singapore English/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Singapore English, or pages that link to Singapore English or to this page or whose text .
- Language : A type of communication system; this term is used in linguistics, computer science and other fields to refer to different systems, including 'natural language' in humans, programming languages run on computers, and so on.
- English language : A West Germanic language widely spoken in the United Kingdom, its territories and dependencies, Commonwealth countries and former colonial outposts of the British Empire; has developed the status of a global language.
- Contact language : any language which is created through contact between two or more existing languages; may occur when people who share no native language need to communicate, or when a language of one group becomes used for wider communication.
- New Englishes : Varieties of English spoken in regions with a history of (usually British) colonial administration, but initially lacking large numbers of native English speakers (e.g. India, Singapore); nowadays, comprise working languages of the state or region, typically with some influence of local languages on the grammar and vocabulary, and are often acquired in infancy or later childhood.
- Singapore : Even though of tiny size, one of the world's most prosperous countries, a trading and transportation center of Southeast Asia, made up of islands between Malaysia and Indonesia.
Substrate, adstrate and superstrate languages other than English
- Bazaar Malay : Add brief definition or description
- Hokkien language : Add brief definition or description
- Mandarin language : (traditional Chinese 官話, simplified 官话; pinyin Guānhuà) Sino-Tibetan language, the standard form of which constitutes 'Standard Chinese'; world's largest language by speakers, with approximately 900,000,000 users.
- Malaysian language : Add brief definition or description
- Tamil language : Add brief definition or description
- Malaysian English : Add brief definition or description
- Standard English : Any variety of English for which prescribed rules or conventions have been established by authorities, such as in official dictionaries or grammar books; typically taught in schools and to learners of English, and used by organisations such as governments and broadcasters.
- Indian English : Add brief definition or description
- British English : Any of the spoken and written variants of the English language originating in the United Kingdom; widely used around the world, especially in current and former countries of the Commonwealth of Nations.
- Creole (language) : Native language, such as Haitian Creole, which under most definitions originated as a pidgin (a rudimentary language without native speakers, created by at least two groups of speakers as a contact language. i.e. to allow immediate communication) but became as complex as any other language through being acquired by children as a first language.