From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Serotonin, or pages that link to Serotonin or to this page or whose text .
- Neurotransmitter : A class of chemicals which relay, amplify or modulate electrical signals between a neuron and other cells in the nervous system.
- Tryptophan : One of four common aromatic amino acids in proteins.
Diseases of possible serotonin disorder
- Depression : Please do not use this term in your topic list, because there is no single article for it. Please substitute a more precise term. See Depression (disambiguation) for a list of available, more precise, topics. Please add a new usage if needed.
- Fibromyalgia : Inflammation of the fibrous or connective tissue of the body, characterized by acute and debilitating widespread musculoskeletal pain.
- Serotonin syndrome : Potentially fatal drug interaction caused by combining drugs that raise the level of serotonin in the patient's nervous system to dangerously high levels.
- Migraine headache : Vascular type of headache, marked by severe cranial vault pain lasting several hours, resulting from intracranial, extracranial, or psychogenic causes.
Drugs affecting it
- Second-generation antidepressant : Antidepressants characterized primarily by the era of their introduction, rather than by their chemical structure or by their pharmacological effect.
- Tricyclic antidepressant : Adrenergic uptake inhibitors used in the treatment of depression and other diseases; suppress postsynaptic catechol-O-methyl transferase, causing increases in synaptic norepinephrine and serotonin
- Triptan : Add brief definition or description