Quantization of the electromagnetic field/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Quantization of the electromagnetic field, or pages that link to Quantization of the electromagnetic field or to this page or whose text .
Classical electromagnetic field
- Electromagnetic wave : A change, periodic in space and time, of an electric field E(r,t) and a magnetic field B(r,t); a stream of electromagnetic waves, referred to as electromagnetic radiation, can be seen as a stream of massless elementary particles, named photons.
- Electromagnetic radiation : a collection of electromagnetic waves, usually of different wavelengths.
- Maxwell equations : Mathematical equations describing the interrelationship between electric and magnetic fields; dependence of the fields on electric charge- and current- densities.
- Vector potential : Add brief definition or description
- Quantization : Replacement of a classical variable by a quantum mechanical operator; phenomenon that energy is discontinuous.
- Quantum electrodynamics : A relativistic theory of the interaction between electrically charged bodies based upon the exchange of photons, the quanta of the electromagnetic field.
- Second quantization : Add brief definition or description
- Standard Model : A mathematical theory that describes the weak, electromagnetic and strong interactions between leptons and quarks, the basic particles of particle physics.
- Photon : elementary particle with zero rest mass and unit spin associated with the electromagnetic field.