Pop music/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Pop music, or pages that link to Pop music or to this page or whose text .
- Music : The art of structuring time by combining sound and silence into rhythm, harmonies and melodies.
- Popular culture : Commercialised folk culture that exists for the masses; opposite of high culture.
- Popular music : Music that is accessible to the general public and disseminated by one or more of the mass media.
- A-ha: A Norwegian pop music band formed in 1983.
- ABBA: A Scandinavian pop music group; one of the iconic rock bands of the 1970s.
- Kingston Trio: A very popular American vocal group of the late 1950s and early 1960s that led the folk-music (or urban folk, as it is now sometimes called) revival of that era.
- Kylie Minogue: (1968—) Australian recording artist and actress (Neighbours).
- P. J. Proby: (b. James Marcus Smith, 6 November 1938), American singer, composer, and actor, best known for his string of Top 10 hits in the 1960s and musical theatre productions.
- Yoni Rechter: An Israeli musician, composer, and singer.
- Britney Spears: (1981—) American pop music performer and celebrity.
21st-century pop stars
- Justin Bieber: Canadian pop musician, actor and songwriter (born 1994).
- Miley Cyrus: American pop, rock and country singer-songwriter and actor (born 1992).
- Lady Gaga: (born March 28, 1986), An American recording artist sometimes described as a "gay icon" and "bisexual" with a "larger-than-life" style and a critically acclaimed voice.
- One Direction: British-Irish pop boy band formed in 2010 with their participation in the UK televised entertainment competition The X Factor.
- Katy Perry: American singer-songwriter and actor (born 1984).
- Rihanna: Barbadian musician, actor and fashion designer (born 1988).
- Taylor Swift: American songwriter and country, pop and rock musician (born 1989).
- Bass guitar : Musical instrument used to fill in the bottom end of music in many bands.
- Cover band : A band that only plays (or "covers") the songs of other artists, rather than playing original material.
- Film : A visual medium involving the recording and display of images in motion over time, generally by photographic means.
- Guitar : A stringed musical instrument consisting of three main types; the electric guitar, the classical guitar, and the acoustic guitar.
- Musical instrument : An object constructed or used for the purpose of making music.
- Reggae : A term for a particular music style that emerged in Jamaica in the late 1960s.
- Rock music : A form of popular music with a prominent vocal melody, accompanied by guitar, drums, and bass, usually with a strong back beat, which evolved from earlier rock and roll and rockabilly music styles.
- Rock 'n' roll : A form of popular music that evolved in the United States in the late 1940s and early 1950s, from rhythm and blues, country, and folk.
- Singer-songwriter : Performers who write the lyrics and compose the music for the majority of the songs they perform, often as soloists.
- Waltz : A melody played with three beats per bar, usually in 3/4 or 3/8 time.