Popular music/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Popular music, or pages that link to Popular music or to this page or whose text .
- Music : The art of structuring time by combining sound and silence into rhythm, harmonies and melodies.
- Performance : Add brief definition or description
- Popular culture : Commercialised folk culture that exists for the masses; opposite of high culture.
- Blues : A music genre based on the use of the blues chord progressions (I-IV-V) and blue notes.
- Classic rock : A radio format usually encompassing the mid-1960s to early 1980s years with an emphasis on guitar based bands such as Led Zeppelin or Bad Company. Since the 1980s, classic rock has also been used to loosely describe a genre of music redolent of the radio format.
- Jazz : American-originated musical style, pioneered by black artists, and emphasizing improvisation.
- Pop music : A music genre that features a noticeable rhythmic element, melodies and hooks, a mainstream style and a conventional structure.
- Punk rock : Add brief definition or description
- Reggae : A term for a particular music style that emerged in Jamaica in the late 1960s.
- Rhythm and blues : Add brief definition or description
- Rock music : A form of popular music with a prominent vocal melody, accompanied by guitar, drums, and bass, usually with a strong back beat, which evolved from earlier rock and roll and rockabilly music styles.
- Dance : A continuous and mentally organised sequence of (body) movements containing an expressive character.
- High culture : Add brief definition or description
- Syncopation : A variety of rhythms which are in some way unexpected in that they deviate from the strict succession of regularly spaced strong and weak beats in a meter.
- Western classical music : Add brief definition or description