Pham Van Dong/Related Articles
From Citizendium, the Citizens' Compendium
- See also changes related to Pham Van Dong, or pages that link to Pham Van Dong or to this page or whose text .
- Socialist Republic of Vietnam : Add brief definition or description
- Democratic Republic of Vietnam : Communist state in Vietnam; formally the Democratic Republic of Vietnam. Proclaimed 1945, recognized 1954, and with South Vietnam transformed into the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in 1976
- Vietnam War : A post-colonial independence/Cold War conflict between communist North Vietnam against South Vietnam, assisted by the United States (1955-1975), to unify Vietnam; won by North Vietnam in 1975.
- Ho Chi Minh : Vietnamese communist and nationalist leader and revolutionary (1890–1969); president of North Vietnam 1946–1969.
- Le Duan : Effective political heir, as leader of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam), when Ho Chi Minh's health declined. While he did not depose his internal rivals, he gained power over Vo Nguyen Giap and Truong Chinh.
- Vo Nguyen Giap : The most prominent general of the Viet Minh, the People's Army of Viet Nam, and eventually Defense Minister and Politburo member of North Vietnam
- Truong Chinh : North Vietnamese Politburo member and political theorist, especially advocating agrarian land reform, class struggle, and the "political dau trinh" form of strategy rather than the more military form of Vo Nguyen Giap. Both were eclipsed in power by Le Duan.
- Nguyen Chi Thanh : Senior General in the People's Army of Viet Nam and commander of forces in South Vietnam; believed to have planned the General Offensive-General Uprising, but died in 1967, before its possible realization in the Tet Offensive
- Henry Kissinger : (1923—) American academic, diplomat, and simultaneously Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs and Secretary of State in the Nixon Administration; promoted realism (foreign policy) and détente with China and the Soviet Union; shared 1973 Nobel Peace Prize for ending the Vietnam War; Director, Atlantic Council
- Lyndon B. Johnson : American politician (1908-1973); president 1963–1969; known for his civil rights bills and "The Great Society".